Forums > MaxMSP

Audio atributes hardwired?

September 30, 2012 | 6:35 pm

that is the question.

are the audio attributes of MAX hardwired into it?

I am noticing a lot of MIDI looping programs cropping up being made in MAX, and they all have Microsoft synths and mme, dm, etc drivers.

if you try to remove these audio related drivers from the programs they fail to launch.

my real wonder is if it is possible to build a MIDI looper using MAX with NO audio support or drivers running whatsoever (obviously if you have external hardware modules you don’t need a computer to make sounds from MIDI data.)

I am also trying to accomplish this in USINE using Pascal but am finding most of these compiling/routing programs seem to hardwire some sort of PLAY and/or timeline function involving an audio engine.

I did do a search, and even asked some of the programmers making these MIDI loopers before posting here, but no one seems to know the answer…

jerm

September 30, 2012 | 6:50 pm

short answer: go to the DSP preferences, unlock it, thats how it is done in maxmsp.
and things will work the same way in a custom runtime.

i would go so far saying that when someones app crashes only because the user
removed a driver that this was not a very clever layout.
keeping things flexible should be the normal case. :)

September 30, 2012 | 8:19 pm

[QUOTE=Roman]short answer: go to the DSP preferences, unlock it, thats how it is done in maxmsp.
and things will work the same way in a custom runtime.[/QUOTE]

thank you, so, it is possible to make a midi looper in MAX without audio support or audio purposefully disabled if one so desires.

I think David just did it with MidiBrain, I noticed he has "none" as an option for audio drivers clever.

thanx again

jerm

dtr
September 30, 2012 | 9:20 pm

Sure is possible. Actually the first versions of Max only had MIDI. Audio DSP was added later on.

September 30, 2012 | 9:53 pm

thank you dtr,

I guess I got to get to work…..for the life of me can’t figure out why users are choosing to include audio support in a midi looper if they don’t have too…

I have another unrelated question if someone gets a chance….

I was noticing a bit of code in a MAX midi looper that looks like PASCAL to me, but I did not know if that is commonly used with max and how hard it would be to drop a Pascal script into MAX to produce something you started working on in another environment (a module for example).

sorry newb to MAX, using 5 right now because my computer is so slow it won’t run 6.

jerm

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)