Forums > MaxMSP

Audio distortion

January 19, 2011 | 3:40 pm

Hi all,

I have a Max patch that sends midi messages to Kontakt, while Kontakt gives back sound to Max through Soundflower.
My problem is that i’m experiencing very disturbing and lasting audio distortions – sometimes instantly on startup, some other times after a while. The strange fact is that it won’t happen all the times: on a same exact setup everything can be fine for a couple of days, then go wrong again after few minutes, or an hour…!

Interestingly, distortions disappear completely if i reset Max’s vector size (eg. i work at 1024 when i suddenly hear distortions: i only change for a second vector size to 512 and then change it again to 1024: distortion disappears completely!)

Some guys told me it could be due to asyncronicity between max’s, soundflower’s and kontakt’s clocks. They suggested to find a way to have only one master clock and have the other ones acting as slaves.

Is there a way to do that?

And what do you think about this problem?
Thanks a lot for any tip, greatly welcomed!


January 20, 2011 | 12:29 am

you are not alone. this is a common problem with soundflower. take a look at:

http://code.google.com/p/soundflower/issues/detail?id=24

personally, i have had better luck with jack:

http://jackaudio.org/

you might also want to look into audio hi-jack pro but it is not free.


January 20, 2011 | 8:31 am

it may probably have to do with midi.
i was sending mid and audio from ableton to max
respectively via midi cc and soundflower
and i begun experiencing bad audio, clicks and all sort of cracks

when i changed this, and start avoiding midi
and using udpsend and udpreceive, it all worked
a treat, and soundflower audio never had probs again

tom


January 20, 2011 | 5:20 pm

thanks guys, I’ll check that, but it’s really upsetting you can’t count on soundflower… it’s such a usefull tool, i hoped there was a fix for that issue…


Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)