audio recording mac

Sep 2, 2012 at 2:45pm

audio recording mac

Hi, my question will seem really basic, but I’m a beginner. I can’t manage to record the sounds I’m generating in my patch. I think it might be due to the sound preferences, but I’ve tried several possibilities and it doesn’t work. Also I have “clipping” problems using FM synthesis. I’m supposed to mimic car engines. I’m in some kind of emergency, so if anyone has a clue about one of these 2 problems, feel free to explain.

Attachments:
  1. testbrio.maxpat
Sep 2, 2012 at 3:16pm

Just connect the out put of the gain~ to the input(s) of sfrecord~! The adc~ represents the physical inputs to your sound-card, not the outputs of your patch.
Even simpler, just use the Quickrecord patch in the Extras menu – it captures whatever is going out to your dac~ and saves in to your Max folder.
Your patch does indeed sound like a nice rumbly vintage motor, but I’m not getting any clipping unless I raise the gain~ above the 0dB level (which is approx. 3/4 full scale) which you might expect anyway.
Perhaps introduce some more high frequencies as the revs get higher, to simulate the rattle you get with most engines …?
Cheers
Roger

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Sep 2, 2012 at 4:47pm

Thanks a lot Roger for your advices ! Well this patch is part of a bigger program, where other sounds interfere, but I had thought about adding higher components indeed. I like the round and vintage tone though. The clipping actually occurs when the speed gets really slow, or around 370. I think it has something to do with the synthesis itself, don’t you ?

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:39am

another option to record audio from any open patch

Attachments:
  1. RECORDER.maxpat

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.