Forums > MaxMSP

Audio routing

January 19, 2011 | 5:46 pm

Hi

I’m trying to route audio from one application through max and then on to a third application which is recording that sound and visuals from the screen into a single video, so:

visuals       ->     recording application
                              ^
                              |
sound   --->   max   --->

Most things things I read about Soundflower discuss two applications, I’m getting feedback every way I try, is it possible to do this configuration or is there an alternative solution? I have a second computer would that or an extra soundcard solve this? Passing through analog and back isn’t a problem but I’m just having trouble visualising this.

thanks in advance
Garrett

January 20, 2011 | 12:18 am

I use JACK for my inter-application audio routing needs.

It’s controllable with the JackOSX JackPilot GUI, or with command line tools you can invoke from within Max with the shell object (jk_lsp, jk_connect, jk_disconnect). I have all my JACK abstractions handle their own I/O in this way.

January 22, 2011 | 2:13 pm

Hi

Thanks for this, took ages of fiddling to figure out how to route things correctly but it seems the first app in the chain (sending audio) is a problem as its sending can only be sent through the system and that gives feedback. Still trying, perhaps some combination of Jack and Soundflower will work.

Garrett

February 7, 2011 | 9:28 am

Hi,

EasyMac, could you be more specific about how you use shell objects to have jackOSX abstractions? could you give an example? got lost there…. :-(

February 7, 2011 | 9:23 pm

Hi miguelvb, I don’t know if this is exactly what you are asking, but this post could be of some interest:
http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=30730
cheers

February 9, 2011 | 9:33 pm

Thank you, this is a good link!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)