audio/midi hardware i/o preferences

Feb 22, 2007 at 11:15pm

audio/midi hardware i/o preferences

i’ve been out of the loop for a couple years on the whole audio/midi i/o box market. what is everyone’s favorite box? here’s what i’m looking for:

- 2-4 mic/line inputs, phantom power would be nice
- midi in/out/thru
- preferably firewire or similar interface so i can use it on my G4 desktop and my future intel-mac laptop
- compatibility with a popular audio recording program that works on OS X (including intel macs). e.g. pro tools, digital performer, cubase, etc.

basically, i want to set up a little workstation where i can write midi tracks in a software sequencer, send the midi values into max which generates sounds, send the sounds back into the sequencer to be recorded. also need to record samples into computer, have monitoring capabilities, and be able to use a midi keyboard as midi input.

looking for a good (reasonably priced) box and good software to do this on a G4 (dual 1MHz) and an intel laptop.

thanks for the advice,

scott

Feb 23, 2007 at 9:20pm

nobody has any preferences?

:*(

Feb 23, 2007 at 10:09pm

Quote: swieser1 wrote on Fri, 23 February 2007 00:15
—————————————————-
> – 2-4 mic/line inputs, phantom power would be nice
> – midi in/out/thru
> – preferably firewire or similar interface so i can use it on my G4 desktop and my future intel-mac laptop
> – compatibility with a popular audio recording program that works on OS X (including intel macs). e.g. pro tools, digital performer, cubase, etc.

If you want to use Pro Tools, you’ll need to go for Digidesign or M-Audio’s interfaces. (Pro Tools M-Powered in the latter).

Personally, I use the Presonus’s Firepod and I’m happy with it. 8 inputs, MIDI in/out (no MIDI thru), firewire, no problem on my iMac Intel. I bought mine second hand for 350 euros wich is quite a good deal, I think – but it almost depend on your budget.

As I already said it here in the past, I’ll stay away from M-Audio’s interface in the future since I had some problems with their drivers, more precisely for their Delta 66 I used. A lot of people are using their interface without any major problem, though. Just my 2 cents.

You’ll find some info on the forum archives if you want – if I remember well, I asked people point of view on the Firepod, for example. These kind of questions are asked quite often, so you’ll find some advice probably.

RME and Motu’s interfaces are also often quoted by some users. Really nice for sure, but also more expensive than M-Audio or Presonus’s hardware. Not a big surprise, here. Again, it depends on your budget.

Hth,

Best,
Julien.

Feb 24, 2007 at 9:04am

Feb 26, 2007 at 11:00am

Scott wrote:
> nobody has any preferences?

Two actually, if it needs to be small and very transportable, the ESI
Quatafire 610, works out of the box and has two Midiports, which is
important for me. Disadvantage, nonsymetric connections.

If you look for the highest quality look at RME Fireface 400 or 800.

If ProTools is a requirement, you are unluckily trapped, only M-Audio or
Digidesign interfaces will support it. And they have crappy drivers for
other tools than ProTools. One option is to incorporate two interfaces,
one for ProTools and one for Max, because you won’t be able to run
ProTools & other software accessing the same interface at the same time…

Stefan

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.