Forums > MaxMSP

Augmented Reality HELP!

October 21, 2010 | 9:11 am

Hi,

I’m not sure If I’m posting this in the right place, but I am completely new to maxmsp and am attempting to create an Augmented Reality piece, where an image/movieclip follows a fiducial marker around on a screen. Basically what I want to happen is that you show the fiducial marker to a webcam and then on screen an image will appear on the marker and follow it as the marker moves infront of the camera/screen. Also I need to work out a way to stop the movieclip/image from showing when the fiducial marker is removed from the camera’s view.

So far I’ve mannaged to make maxmsp in conjunction with reactivison recognise two different symbols and show me images/movies which connect to these symbols.

Basically I’m completely stuck and need some help.

many thanks

mrmathew

October 23, 2010 | 10:08 pm

don’t know what the TUIOclient puts out, but here are some more little ideas, like gating/clearing the movie when the removeObject is triggered. Also, generally you don’t need "if" statements when you’re testing for values, you can use select. often it’s more clear, and you can easily test for a whole string of possible numbers.

Interesting project, reminds me of one I was contemplating in the past, where Max would be used to recognize fiducial markers on circuit boards, in order to control a pick-and-place machine for electronics components. Definitely could be done with the right fiddling and precise testing. So your project (which is a lot bigger scale camera-wise) should also be doable, hope it turns out well.

Watch out for that Max thing… it’s super addictive :)

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

October 26, 2010 | 7:03 am

thanks seejayjames,
that should be a big help.
I have since figured out how to do what I want using the FLARtoolkit.
But I still would really love to work it out using Max. I think I may have a play and see what happens.

many thanks

mrmathew

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)