Authoring Apps for cross platform

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:21pm

Authoring Apps for cross platform

Hi All,

Quick question… I’m creating a standalone app from a Max/MSP patch, and ultimately, I will need a version that runs on Windows as well (I’m on Mac OSX).

In order to have a Windows version, would it be as simple as sending my Max/MSP patch (which I understand to be cross platform)to a Windows version user and asking them to build a standalone from their system? Would the end result be an identical program that would run on Windows?

Thanks in advance,
Joel

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:39pm

If you do not use some specific externals (that does not exist on windows), you can do it. the end resut will be identical (except maybe some small font differences or so).

You may consider to build a collective as well :
http://www.cycling74.com/docs/max5/vignettes/core/collectives.html

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:51pm

Thanks for your reply!

Would it be safe to assume that all all onjects that exist in the OSX version would also be included in the Windows version?

I need to author this as an app, not collective, because I need to send it to people who don’t have MAX/MSP.

Does anyone know the Windows equivalent of ‘Show Package Contents’?

Cheers,
Joel

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:15pm
joel@squarewave.ca wrote on Mon, 24 August 2009 08:51

Would it be safe to assume that all all onjects that exist in the OSX version would also be included in the Windows version?

if you only use “built in” objects, everything is ok. just take care if you use 3rd part externals.

Quote:
I need to author this as an app, not collective, because I need to send it to people who don’t have MAX/MSP.

just a precision : to run a collective, people only need max runtime, wich can be downloaded for free.

Quote:
Does anyone know the Windows equivalent of ‘Show Package Contents’?

there’s no equivalent.
if i remember well, a max app on windows is just a folder, that contains the collective + the runtime, and a .exe that will launch the collective, or something like that.

Aug 25, 2009 at 7:22am

If you’re going to do this more often, you might consider investing in a program like parallels (I believe there is even free software which does the same) and Windows. Contrary to what has been stated before on this forum, it is possible to authorize a version of max 5 in parallels.

_
johan

Aug 25, 2009 at 9:17am
jvkr wrote on Tue, 25 August 2009 09:22
Contrary to what has been stated before on this forum, it is possible to authorize a version of max 5 in parallels.

Just to clarify:

Earlier reports of not being able to authorize Max/MSP through Parallels (or any other virtualization) applied to Max 4, and they were correct. For Max 4.

Max 5 got an overhauled Challenge/Response system that happens also to work with virtual machines such as Parallels.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.