Forums > MaxMSP

Auto-completion, how to see added externals?

October 6, 2008 | 12:38 pm

hi,

How do we make the externals added to Max’s objects available via the auto-completion feature ?

I would like to see the "OSC-route" from CNMAT for example, to get all the OSC tools available.

is it possible ?

thanks a lot


October 6, 2008 | 1:12 pm

On 6 oct. 08, at 14:38, Olivier Sebillotte wrote:

> How do we make the externals added to Max’s objects available via
> the auto-completion feature ?

Doesn’t they appear automatically?

> I would like to see the "OSC-route" from CNMAT for example, to get
> all the OSC tools available.

I have [OSC-route] in the auto-completion menu, and I didn’t do
anything special to get it.

_____________________________
Patrick Delges

Centre de Recherches et de Formation Musicales de Wallonie asbl

http://www.crfmw.be/max


October 6, 2008 | 1:39 pm


October 6, 2008 | 4:47 pm

On Oct 6, 2008, at 5:38 AM, Olivier Sebillotte wrote:

> I would like to see the "OSC-route" from CNMAT for example, to get
> all the OSC tools available.
>
> is it possible ?

Max 5 remembers objects that you’ve typed. This means that the first
time you successfully instantiate an "OSC-route" object, it is added
to the auto-complete list.

Same for abstractions.

-C

Chris Muir
cbm@well.com

http://www.xfade.com


October 6, 2008 | 6:17 pm

Thanks Chris,

actually it didn’t work because I typed [osc-route] instead of [OSC-route]

my fault.

but I still wonder why most of built-in max objects are already available via auto-completion even if you’ve never used them.

I guess there is a kind of register keeping the name of objects to display when auto-completing.
It should be possible to scan all our externals to add them to this list instead of aving to instantiate ALL of them once.

if someone could point to this register it would be nice.

Olivier

Quote: Chris Muir wrote on Mon, 06 October 2008 18:47
—————————————————-
>
> On Oct 6, 2008, at 5:38 AM, Olivier Sebillotte wrote:
>
> > I would like to see the "OSC-route" from CNMAT for example, to get
> > all the OSC tools available.
> >
> > is it possible ?
>
>
> Max 5 remembers objects that you’ve typed. This means that the first
> time you successfully instantiate an "OSC-route" object, it is added
> to the auto-complete list.
>
> Same for abstractions.
>
> -C
>
> Chris Muir
> cbm@well.com
> http://www.xfade.com
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
—————————————————-


October 8, 2008 | 4:22 am

On 6 oct. 08, at 20:17, Olivier Sebillotte wrote:

>
> Thanks Chris,
>
> actually it didn’t work because I typed [osc-route] instead of [OSC-
> route]
>
> my fault.
>
> but I still wonder why most of built-in max objects are already
> available via auto-completion even if you’ve never used them.
>
> I guess there is a kind of register keeping the name of objects to
> display when auto-completing.
> It should be possible to scan all our externals to add them to this
> list instead of aving to instantiate ALL of them once.

If your externals are in the search path, they should appear in the
autocompletion. Abstractions appear in there when they have been
instantiated once.

ej


October 9, 2008 | 11:55 am

Quote: Emmanuel Jourdan wrote on Wed, 08 October 2008 06:22
.
>
> If your externals are in the search path, they should appear in the
> autocompletion. Abstractions appear in there when they have been
> instantiated once.
>
> ej

—————————————————-

this means, if I drop a folder with 100 externals I will have to instantiate all of them one by one :(


October 9, 2008 | 12:26 pm

I think that’s only if you add 100 abstractions. Externals should be automatic, like Emmanuel said. And it’s not like you have to sit there typing away until they’re all remembered, you can just wait until you need to use them, type the full name in and it’s remembered from then on.

lh


October 9, 2008 | 5:07 pm

Olivier Sebillotte schrieb:
> this means, if I drop a folder with 100 externals I will have to
> instantiate all of them one by one :(

You have to learn them anyway, just open all accompanying help files…
I don’t see the slightest problem here. But I see a problem that
abstractions which don’t mean anything also get included, though I might
not want them in the autocompletion, especially if they had been only
made for testing, or are used very rarely…

I see more a problem of too many than to little being listed…;-)

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com


October 9, 2008 | 7:25 pm

Hi Stefan,

yes in a perfect world I could have enough time to learn all of them, but I don’t live in such a world ;-)

Auto-completion could be usefull just like the "see also" menu in each Help patch:

if I type "change", it could display [change] and [jb.change]
then I will discover/remember that there is an alternative to [change]

Actually I try to use as few 3rd party objects as possible for many reasons, but it is too bad to miss some nice one.

by the way, I agree with you about the "too many"
Maybe we should move unwanted abstractions to a folder off max’s radar.


October 10, 2008 | 8:21 am

Olivier Sebillotte schrieb:
> yes in a perfect world I could have enough time to learn all of them,
> but I don’t live in such a world ;-)

Nobody wants to learn all of them, its faster to create your own… ;-)

> if I type "change", it could display [change] and [jb.change] then I
> will discover/remember that there is an alternative to [change]

This is not even close to how autocomplete works, better look into my
Max Overview patch, in the end you need to collect your own reference
methods…

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com


Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)