Auto find Loop start/end points?

May 11, 2008 at 4:36pm

Auto find Loop start/end points?

Hi folks,

I think this was already covered here but I can’t find the thread.

I’m building a sampler and synth and would like it to have a live loop feature. I don’t know how to get groove~ to automatically find the loop start and end points of the audio in the buffer~. I don’t want to have to scrub to them in the waveform after each recording (if possible).

Could some body suggest a solution please? I’m using Max5 just incase there is a new object that could do it.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

John

May 11, 2008 at 4:50pm

Actually what might be easier..

For this patch I only want to record what I’m playing on the synth. If there was a way to record the midi data I’m sending in so that when I stop playing I could trigger an object to get Max to repeat what I just did.. That would be nice.

Just a thought.

Thanks

May 11, 2008 at 4:53pm

Got it. seq

I’d still like to try the loop point thing though..

May 11, 2008 at 6:01pm

Quote: dx1200 wrote on Sun, 11 May 2008 12:36
—————————————————-
> I’m building a sampler and synth and would like it to have a live loop feature. I don’t know how to get groove~ to automatically find the loop start and end points of the audio in the buffer~. I don’t want to have to scrub to them in the waveform after each recording (if possible).

So do you want to be looping the entire buffer? or just the section that was recorded. For example, if you have a 10 second buffer and you play in a synth line that is 4 seconds long, do you want to be looping all 10 seconds of the buffer? or just the first 4?

If you want to be looping the whole buffer, doesn’t [groove~] do that automatically when you tell it to loop without providing loop points? If not, you can set the start loop to zero and use the [info~] object to get the current end time of the [buffer~] for your end loop point.

I’m guessing that you probably want to be doing the example where you only loop the section that was just recorded not the entire contents of the [buffer~]. In this case, you can use [timer] with [record~] to time how long it was from the trigger to start recording and end recording and use the output of [timer] to set the end loop point (start point is zero again in this case). If this is what you are trying to do, just make sure you set the size of your recording buffer long enough so you don’t run out of room. You may also want to add some ramp up/down envelopes to the start and end of your recording to avoid clicks.

May 11, 2008 at 9:09pm

Yip its the second option. That sounds exactly what like what I’m looking for. Thanks a million.

J

May 12, 2008 at 11:04am

May 12, 2008 at 12:15pm

Thanks Roth. Sounds good and time consuming. I will have to try it.

Regards
John

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.