Auto full screen on patch load

Aug 29, 2008 at 2:06pm

Auto full screen on patch load

Hey all,

First post and a quick question. I’m just installing a system at a science museum, the basic patch uses RFID to trigger video’s using Jitter. In order to make the daily set-up as light as possible for the staff, I’ve got the Mini-Mac auto booting, loading and running the patch. The only thing I can’t get working is having the patch automatically taking the movie window into full screen mode. Currently the staff has to hit Space Bar. The problem is that having the full screen toggle automatically banged opens the movie window in full screen, but behind the patch window. I need a way of telling Jitter to bring the movie window to the front. Can anyone help??!

Many thanks,

TJ

Aug 29, 2008 at 5:31pm

not sure without seeing a patch, but i suggest just delaying your fullscreen message.

loadbang -> delay 1000 -> fullscreen 1 -> jit.window

Aug 30, 2008 at 6:40pm

or maybe use the message?? this doesn’t work with border off, so you might have to turn floating off again with a delay and then do the fullscreen 1 -> jit.window.

Aug 30, 2008 at 7:02pm

A loadbang to a message fullscreen 1 works fine for me, make sure to loadbang any other important messages (like to remove the menu bar and such). You shouldn’t have to make it floating as fullscreen is fullscreen.

Also, if you are using another display besides your home monitor, you can bang a message with a position value to move the window to the right display, then it fullscreens where you want.

I haven’t had to use any delays, but sometimes those are needed just to be sure.

In you post you said you were able to auto-load your patch when max is booted. How is this done?

Also, does anyone know how to tell max (or os x 10.5) to restart if it crashes? I too am installing a piece in a museum, where I won’t be around, and if max crashes it would be nice for it to restart itself.

Thanks in advance and good luck to all!

Aug 30, 2008 at 7:29pm

> In you post you said you were able to auto-load your patch when max is booted. How is this done?

this has been discussed many times in the max forum.
one way is the user accounts login items (in system preferences)

> Also, does anyone know how to tell max (or os x 10.5) to restart if it crashes? I too am installing a piece in a museum, where I won’t be around, and if max crashes it would be nice for it to restart itself.

also, been discussed. search around. can do it with unix, but i think there’s some apps that do it as well.

Aug 30, 2008 at 7:35pm

Sorry for asking the obvious…and being a bit lazy…well Im just a little crunched for time.

Yes, I see login items in os x can be set to anything…I thought it was only for programs.

Will search around for the crash/reboot issue.

Thanks!

Aug 30, 2008 at 8:40pm

On 30-aug-2008, at 21:02, Ben Bigelow wrote:

> Also, does anyone know how to tell max (or os x 10.5) to restart if
> it crashes? I too am installing a piece in a museum, where I won’t
> be around, and if max crashes it would be nice for it to restart
> itself.

what I posted a year ago on the max list.
here is my trick to restart after a crash
(used in a museum piece that lasted a year)

#!/bin/sh
while true
do
open “/path/to/your/standalone.app” ;
sleep 10;
done

This is a watchdog script, it will open the app if it is closed, and
it will put it
in front if it is already open.
it hardly takes any CPU cycles as the shell script sleeps most of the
time.

put the script in your login items.
also make sure the system logs in to your account on start up

and there is plenty more good advice from others — presumably on the
max list, not the jitter list.

HtH
-jennek

Sep 1, 2008 at 10:06am

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions folks.

I thought I had got around the problem – simply by sending ‘front’ to the jit.window before the full screen message – however, now the patch won’t wrap into an application. Whenever I try to export it, I get a folder not an app, with appropriate contents but not launchable. I’ve tried appending .app, but it still does nothing when I try to launch it.

Anyone come across this before? I’m running MAx 4.6.3, latest Jitter, on a old 1.33 Powerbook G4 (10.4.11)

Many thanks.

TJ

Sep 1, 2008 at 10:33am

eh in osx an app isin fact a folder

but why do you need to make it an app?
just copy the patch and run with runtime.

-mj

>Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions folks.
>
>I thought I had got around the problem – simply by sending ‘front’
>to the jit.window before the full screen message – however, now the
>patch won’t wrap into an application. Whenever I try to export it, I
>get a folder not an app, with appropriate contents but not
>launchable. I’ve tried appending .app, but it still does nothing
>when I try to launch it.
>
>Anyone come across this before? I’m running MAx 4.6.3, latest
>Jitter, on a old 1.33 Powerbook G4 (10.4.11)
>
>
>Many thanks.
>
>TJ

Sep 1, 2008 at 4:33pm

> I thought I had got around the problem – simply by sending ‘front’ to the jit.window before the full screen message – however, now the patch won’t wrap into an application. Whenever I try to export it, I get a folder not an app, with appropriate contents but not launchable. I’ve tried appending .app, but it still does nothing when I try to launch it.
>
> Anyone come across this before? I’m running MAx 4.6.3, latest Jitter, on a old 1.33 Powerbook G4 (10.4.11)

i vaguely remember an issue with creating applications on os x, where you had to save the application to your System drive (/Macintosh HD/, the one the OS is installed on). saving on any other drive caused issues. also, try to quit finder or logout or something similar after building, see if that helps.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.