Forums > Javascript

Auto/Manual scripting name

August 19, 2010 | 7:19 pm

Hi Maxers,

I have an interesting problem to solve here. It’s about changing the scripting name of a subpatcher/bpatcher/abstraction again with JavaScript.

I have written a small script to automatically name a subpatcher/bpatcher/abstraction. If I give an argument ton my JS object containing this script, it sets the varname of the patcher its contained in. That’s pretty easy, you can find a lot of example for that on Cycling’s Forum.
I also added some easy but neat features like : if you bang it, it outputs the current varname. If you send it the message "parent" and the subpatcher/bpatcher/abstraction is actually loaded in something that has a script name, then it returns that name.
Of course, if I don’t give any argument to the JS object, it does nothing when loaded. But you can set the name afterwards with a "set" message.

Anyway, this is rather handy.

The problem is this one :
Imagine you have a bpatcher (for example) with this JS script inside whith an argument, it will auto-name the bpatcher every time it’s loaded. Now, if the user (I mean the person who added the bpatcher) wants to change the name "by hand" he/she can do it in the inspector of the bpatcher. However, this "manual" change won’t actually stay, even if the person saves the patch. Why ? Because next time it’s loaded, my script is going to rename the bpatcher with the argument it has.
I would like to avoid that, meaning, if the person decide to change the scripting name, then it overrides the auto-naming. And of course, I would like that to be automatic (ie. without needed to open the patch where the JS is).
Is it clear ?

I have no idea how to do that.
The first thing is to detect that a "manual" naming occurred. Is that possible with JS ?
Second, the JS has to permanently stop renaming once it detected that. It could be simply by destroying itself (is that possible ?). Or inhibit the auto-name in a way ? Or change it own argument ?

I though you, Maxers (and JS nerds, at least for some of you) might have some idea about this…

Thank’s

August 20, 2010 | 12:18 am

I use a pattr with an initial of -1 to set the state of whether a js has already received data initialized by the user. If the js has already been initialized, and saved in a former patch, its value will have been incremented (by some js logic) to a higher number. This wasn’t exactly easy to figure out, and I don’t have an example to show you right now, but get back to me if you need one. The system should work for your purposes, as I’m doing something fairly similar.

August 20, 2010 | 6:16 am

Hello BenCello,

[closebang] connect to your js,
to trigger a "if user change varname test process" ;

then ;

function save ( )
    {
        embedmessage ("user_name", myname) ;
    }

to keep the value, and then :

function user_name (myname)
    {
          // rename if myname is defined ...
          // a way to block your custom naming process ...
    }

just an idea, i didn’ test it ;-)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)