Indeed, I want the external IP. :(

any other possible paths in sight?

Cheers!

Lpa.

Oct 22, 2008 at 12:04am

Did I say thank you?

I do now : )

Oct 22, 2008 at 12:43am

how about a jweb object that points to http://www.whatismyip.com ? Then your punk dudes could just type it in somewhere.

Not particularly automated, but it would work and would hopefully be simple enough for non-maxers.

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:02am

Since you are dealing with arbitrary Internet addresses, you either need to know someone’s address and connect to that, or connect to some server that helps you find each other. Some options:

1) Before each session, go look up your IP and then tell your friends to plug that into the patch. (you could use some site like whatismyip.com like Scott suggested)

2) Get a static IP address or domain name, and hard code the Max patches to connect to that. I think you can have a domain tied to a dynamic IP – there are software tools for this but I don’t know much about it.

3) Setup a server with a known address (static IP or domain name) and hard code your Max patches to connect to that in order to find each other. Now you are getting into developing custom client/server software. This is probably more trouble than it’s worth, unless you have experience doing such things.

Regardless of your choice, you may find you have trouble connecting unless you poke some holes in your router’s and computer’s firewall settings.

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:43pm

Well, it seems there are ways to do it. Will look into all the options, and will drop a report once I get somewhere.

Thank you all!!

LPA.

Oct 22, 2008 at 4:01pm

if the punx are capable of finding their own ip then you might just put a
text-box in whatever patch you send them and not bother with automating it.

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 11:43 AM, lparra wrote:

>
>
> Well, it seems there are ways to do it. Will look into all the options, and
> will drop a report once I get somewhere.
>
> Thank you all!!
>
> LPA.
>

Oct 22, 2008 at 11:43pm

that is even better, and with ip tracking from http://whatismyipaddress.com/ or whatnot, it’s just a matter of putting together some instructions.

seems easy now.

Leonardo.

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:28pm

If you have Jitter you can ask that website for the IP address from within Max. Here’s an example. Please note my knowledge of [regexp] is pretty poor but this seems to work if you give it a few kicks first.

lh

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Oct 26, 2008 at 9:01pm

Quote: thereishopeforus@hotmail.com wrote on Sun, 26 October 2008 14:28
—————————————————-
>
> If you have Jitter you can ask that website for the IP address from within Max. Here’s an example. Please note my knowledge of [regexp] is pretty poor but this seems to work if you give it a few kicks first.
>
> lh
>

works flawlessly here! thank you.
kjg

Oct 26, 2008 at 11:50pm

I was getting a “PCRE error -10″ printed to the max window the first time I tryed to send the text out of [jit.textfile] which could be avoided by opening it and closing it again every time new html source is [jit.uldl]-ed into it. The error code is less than enlightening but I did stumble across another example on the forum and the response seemed to be that perhaps some of the characters in the text are being misunderstood or are confusing the regex parser due to using different character encodings. I just wanted to mention that in case anyone could shed some light on the matter but it isn’t particularly important.

lh

Oct 27, 2008 at 9:03am

Luke schrieb:
> I just wanted to mention that in case anyone could shed some light on
> the matter but it isn’t particularly important.

I get the same PCRE error -10 on my PPC Powerbook and OS 10.4.11. Would
be nice if this could be resolved and/or shed some light on it….

Stefan

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

Oct 27, 2008 at 11:05am

Stefan, does opening and closing [jit.textfile] stop you getting the error message or are you having no luck at all with the patch?

lh

Oct 28, 2008 at 12:43pm

You can aswell set up your own server on your own computer
and direct your friends there via yourownserver.dyndns.org

dynamic dns works quite nicely for me, actually.
even your router should support automatic ip updating of your server in case your ISP changes your ip at home every 24 hours or so.

Oct 28, 2008 at 6:06pm

Luke schrieb:
> Stefan, does opening and closing [jit.textfile] stop you getting the
> error message or are you having no luck at all with the patch?

Yes, it does, but its annoying to be forced to do it. If there would be
another way to convert all non conform characters into conform ones I’d
do that but I don’t know how…

It’s on a PPC Powerbook and OS 10.4.11 btw…

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.