Forums > MaxMSP

automated abstraction building

October 10, 2009 | 3:40 pm

This is my first post, so maybe my language is unclear:
How can I automate the process of abstraction building?
If I have a abstraction called xxxx.maxpat and I want to
build several copys of xxxx.maxpat in a patcher.
For example I want to make 4000 of them. I recall them by
creating a object called xxxx 0 and then a object called xxxx 1.
(I use the #1 inside the abstraction for building a "sel #1" object. Anyway.. I dont want to make manually by clicking with a mouse all 4000 objects. …
??
Can I automate this process?
Best,

Ch
October 10, 2009 | 4:36 pm

hi,

have a look the subpatch "Making New Objects" in the [thispatcher] helpfile.
I don’t know what you’re trying to achieve, but you may be highly interested by [poly~] as well.

October 10, 2009 | 10:32 pm

you can SCRIPT objects, see help for [thispatcher], or you can
repeat the last copy process using command-D.

October 12, 2009 | 1:00 pm
algorhythm wrote on Sat, 10 October 2009 17:40
(I use the #1 inside the abstraction for building a "sel #1" object. Anyway.. I dont want to make manually by clicking with a mouse all 4000 objects.

You definitely want to look into poly~ including thispoly~… Learning Max takes less time than duplicating and connecting 4000 objects…;-)

Though nobody has a clue why you would need 4000 of the same abstraction, I would bet that your concept has some flaws and you could achieve what you need much easier. (Think formula instead of a list of all possible solutions maybe…;-)

Stefan

October 12, 2009 | 4:58 pm

thanks all to nice comments!

I dont intend to do synth building with this, so I dont need to poly~ object.
I am trying to rebuild an old computer with max/msp.

Next step for learning would be being able to control where the objects are going to be created, I know it is something with offset bla bla, but I dont need that now.

Anyways. thanks!

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

October 12, 2009 | 5:07 pm

Have a look at the "Making New Objects" subpatch in the [thispatcher] help file for positioning and scripting objects.

lh

October 12, 2009 | 5:11 pm

hi,

actually, [poly~] is not only used for creating synths, but also to avoid scripting tons of objects.

you might wanna try scripting first, but believe me, in some time, you’ll end up doing the same with 1 [poly~] Wink

also think about how you’ll communicate with your 2047 abstractions.

also, your [metro] + [bang] + [counter] + [sel] + [del] + [gswitch] can be replaced by one [uzi]

ciao,
_y

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)