Forums > MaxMSP

avg~ vs snapshot~

September 12, 2006 | 4:21 pm

could someone take a second to explain which one of these two objects (or any other for that matter) is better for envelope following and why? I have always used snapshot~ but recently started using avg~ and it seems to work/sound better…but I am not sure why…

thank you

sg

jml
September 12, 2006 | 6:30 pm

avg~ reports a float (control-rate) of the mean average of the amplitude that it has received between bangs that you give it.
this is very different from snapshot~, which outputs a float of whatever signal it is receiving at a millisecond interval that you set via it’s arg.

still different is average~, which outputs a signal average based on its input signal in sample intervals that you designate via its argument, or an integer message. this object is more flexible, having 3 different modes at which it can average- bipolar/rms/absolute.

all this is covered in the documentation/help files.
for an explanation of averaging, check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average

the preferred method for envelope following would generally be average~, or you could check out rampsmooth~.

jl

September 13, 2006 | 1:15 am

Quote: simoneghetti@yahoo.co wrote on Tue, 12 September 2006 10:21
—————————————————-
> could someone take a second to explain which one of these two objects (or any other for that matter) is better for envelope following and why? I have always used snapshot~ but recently started using avg~ and it seems to work/sound better…but I am not sure why…
>
> thank you
>
> sg

because snapshot does not measure power at all, it outputs
the value of the current sample.

if you want messages, meter~ can be a possible equivalent
to avg~/average~

September 13, 2006 | 5:58 am

for envelope following, you can also use slide~.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)