Forums > Jitter

avi files won't play with quicktime/jit.qt.movie

April 14, 2011 | 5:20 pm

I’m trying to play avi files with quicktime/jit.qt.movie. I have been unable to do so. I have download several codec packs and the files will play on all other applications that I have.

If the files will play with one application doesn’t this mean I have the correct codecs installed and so quicktime should be able to use those codecs? I’ve tried reinstalling QT but this has made no difference.

I’ve been looking through lots of forums, and though it seems that lots of othere have had the same problem, I have been unable to find a solution except ‘install more codecs’.

April 20, 2011 | 3:15 pm

There are 2 approaches:
1) Install more codecs until it starts working.
2) figure out what the underlying codec you are missing is. If it’s not working, there’s got to be a reason. I’ve had window screen capture files converted into avi’s, wmv, all sorts of things and nothing helped because I found out that the underlying codec which was proprietary to windows (different from the mov, avi, wmv wrapper) was the problem.

Get info on it, on a Mac you’ll see something like this:
codecs: Motion JPEG A, μ-Law 2:1

So it might be an mov, but it’s compressed as a Motion JPEG A.

You will consistently encounter these kinds of problems if you are trying to use proprietary codecs on the wrong machine (or I always have issues with people giving me things in ProRez or other intermediate codecs that aren’t meant for distribution cause they won’t play on any machine that doesn’t have Final Cut Pro installed).

Hope this helps.

September 9, 2014 | 8:56 pm

Officially, QuickTime only natively plays AVI files encoded with Motion JPEG; QuickTime won’t play AVI videos encoded with DivX, XviD, WMV and other video codecs.

Though we can make QuickTime play more AVI types by installing Perian component, this only works on QuickTime with Mac OS X Snow Leopard or lower version, and it does work on QuickTime with Mac Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion and Lion.

In order to play any video and audio encoded AVI files in any version of QuickTime and Mac OS X or Windows, a recommended solution is to convert AVI to QuickTime more supported video format like MOV or MP4 with some AVI to QuickTime Converter.

Resources: http://www.idealshare.net/itunes-quicktime/quicktime-avi-solution.html

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)