Bar Irrespective Timepoint

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:05am

Bar Irrespective Timepoint

what would be the best way to make a timepoint object, that was irrespective of the bar. For instance, it would always bang on the third beat

something like [ x 1. 0 ]

I don’t know what’s the best approach that won’t cause sloppy timings, and won’t mess with the transport (e.g., perpetually restarting the transport — in case I want to sync up to Ableton later)

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:41am

If you’re not dead set on using timepoint, you could do something as simple as this:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Apr 8, 2013 at 2:17am

I like that idea, the only thing is that I need tick-level resolution, and using select puts me at the whim of the metro which is refreshing the transport time.

The other thing is that my timings usually involve a beat and a number of ticks.

I don’t know why, but I feel like timepoint will work best because it’s tied into the transport behind the scenes.

A sidenote: i ran into an example of yours on dynamic object creation earlier today in the forums. Thanks for being such an active member!

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:43am

In my experience, a quantized metro is accurately in sync with the transport, not so whimsical as you imply. And to add some number of ticks, you can just use delay, like this.

But it’s also possible to do what you want with timepoint. Here’s a simple example.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.