Basic problem with repeating chords and playing chords as intervals

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:14am

Basic problem with repeating chords and playing chords as intervals

Hey guys

I’m working on a MAX/MSP patch for Uni and I’m having a little trouble. I’ve uploaded the patch so you can have a look yourselves.

Anyway, the problem I’m having is I am trying to get the played chords to repeat using one button and play the chord back in singular note intervals with another button. I have got the basic 3 note chords working no problem and also the chords with 5 notes working, but the trouble is once I’ve played a 5 note chord and tested the repeat/interval buttons which work fine, when I go back to play a 3 note chord, it plays the extra 2 notes that were just played from 5 note chord.

Logically, I thought I would need to somehow clear the memory that’s been stored, playing the extra 2 notes, so I’d need to make the patch/objets “forget” the notes that have just been passed through them once they have been played.

I’m not sure if that makes much sense but any help would be greatly appreciated!

To get the patch working, you need to set the key by pressing a key on a MIDI keyboard (press a singular C key for example) and then use the QWERTY keyboard to play back the chords.

Thank you in advance

Seb

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:18am

Not sure if the patch I uploaded in the first post was the right one, so if not, here it is!

Jan 21, 2013 at 9:37am

Hey Seb,

I did someting like this not long ago…..so i should be able to help you.

Ill check it out this afternoon (when i finsih work :P ) and get a post back to you, unless someone beats me too it.

if you can post you patches as ‘copy compressed’ it make life easier for everyone :)

(• Select the part of the patch you wish to copy
• Choose Copy Compressed from the Edit menu to copy the selected objects to the clipboard.
• Switch to your browser and paste the contents of the clipboard into your post window.)

Regards,

Oli

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:54pm

Hey Oli!

Thanks very much for the reply :) appreciate it!

I’ve copied the whole patch, hope this works!

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Jan 21, 2013 at 9:37pm

Anyone else have any ideas?

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:55pm

I’ll be honest and tell you why I didn’t respond. Hope that’s helpful.
I opened the patch and saw the masses of wiring, and it’s simply not readable. Not only that, you must be working on a 1000000*1000000 pixel screen or something, so I couldn’t even get a good overview of what was going on.

I realize this isn’t as constructive as you may have hoped, but I think I speak for a silent majority…

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:58pm

+1 to that…….i thought the same.

but….

these forums have helped me so much, so i feel i can give a bit back on this one,

i am working on something for you now, will post shortly,

Regards,

Oli

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:30am

Ahhh ok! I didn’t even realise it was that bigger patch compared to some haha

Either way, thanks for the reply guys and thank you very much Oli! REALLY appreciate it

Seb

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:44am

Here you go, I think this should do you.

Any problems or you don’t get it let me know.

Also you might want to check out how to ‘encapsulate’ and using the ‘p’ object, check the documentation it will make your future patches neater and more people will help when you post :p

All the best!

Oli

Jan 22, 2013 at 7:50am

Hi,

You should consider to use [coll] to make your patch smaller and easier to modify.

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:30am

Here’s a variation on Nicolas’ patch which may help simplify the chord selection. As he says though it would be better to use a [coll] for all the relative chord values.

best

richard

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.