Basic vst question

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:45am

Basic vst question

I’m trying to use Reaktor as a VST plugin to Max. I just switched from Windows to Mac, and I don’t understand this new platform very well yet; that may be part of my problem.

I’ve gotten Ableton Live to recognize Reaktor as a plugin, after telling Live to “Use VST Plug-In Systems Folders”. (Live also offered a “Custom Folder” option, which I’m not using.)

But I don’t care about Live; that was just a test. I want to run Reaktor in Max. In Max, when I send a Plug message to a vst~ instance, it opens what looks like a Finder, and it begins at the directory “Reaktor”, but none of the contents of that directory is an object that vst~ is willing to open. I don’t know what type of file I’m looking for — should it end in .dll? — and I don’t know where I should be looking for it, either.

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:11am

On the Mac, VST plugins are located in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/ or ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/

Look for the Reaktor5.vst file

You’ll also want to use an open message in addition to plug to open the editor.

Hope this helps,

w

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:27pm

Wonderful, thanks!

Now another question: After reading a bunch of documentation, it seems easier to simultaneously plug “notein”, “ctlin” and “pgmin” into the “vst~” (as opposed to my initial idea of using a single “midiin”). I want to check that I understand formatting right. I realize there are numerous formatting choices for a given message, but I won’t use most of them; I just want to find out if the following will work:

(1) Will CC commands be successful if formatted as a 2-element list (x y), where x is an integer greater than 0, and y is a float between 0 and 1?

(2) Will note commands be successful if formatted as a 3-element list (s p v), where s is the string “midievent”, and p and v (pitch and velocity) are both integers between 0 and 127?

(3) Will program-change commands be successful if formatted as an integer greater than 0?

Thanks,
Jeff

Jan 31, 2009 at 5:35am

Never mind. I’ve got it. Thanks!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.