Beginner Question

Apr 26, 2009 at 11:51pm

Beginner Question

ok, this may be a dumb question, but let’s say I have two patches I like and I just want to combine them. Do I just send the ouput signals to a multiplier like *~.5 ? and then to the dac? Also, I don’t get the difference between +~ and *~. I know one is add and the other is multiply, but do both combine signals?
sorry, but this max/msp is way over my head…
-steve

Apr 27, 2009 at 12:37am

*~ is the fader on the mixer (* 1. is equivalent to “O dB”.)
+~ is the connexion of 2 signals into one, really the addition of 2 signals.
If you want to play with the balance of 2 signals, you need 2 [*~] objects.
If you want to just combine them, [+~] will add them, [*~] will scale the sum. Or connecting 2 signals at the same input of [*~], that is equivalent.
But just go ahead, make a patch, try it by yourself. You won’t break the computer nor Max like that!
J-F.

Apr 27, 2009 at 1:14am

Have a look at the patch I’ve included below. It should illustrate how [+~] combines signals while [*~] scales them. When the combined signal is greater than 1 you will see blips on the [scope~] and as this increases you will begin to hear distortion, just select a few values from the drop down menu or change the value in the [flonum] box. As Jean-Francois mentioned you don’t really need to use the [+~] object as MSP objects automatically sum signals if they are connected to the same inlet.

lh

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Apr 27, 2009 at 1:43pm

you mix audio dignals by multiplying them with each other.

no need to do * -0.5.

*~ ? yes, that would work, but it is not necessary.
most msp objects will allow more than one connection, and that multiplies the signals too.
if you for example connect 2 signals both to the first inlet
of a [+~ 0.] that also multiplies them.

if you would add 2 signals via +~ it might sound similar, but it
gives you wrong results. (example: 0.7 + 0.7 will give you over 1.)

p.s.:
i am not editing “dignal”, because i think it
is a ralley beutufil rerreo.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.