beginner question…

Sep 15, 2009 at 10:46pm

beginner question…

Hi All,

New to the forum. I will be covering Max/Msp and Jitter over the next few months. There will be a big project im planning which will integrate wiimotes with maxmsp. I also plan on projecting visuals from jitter also. What i’d like to know is once i have my patches in maxmsp running, can jitter simultaneously produce visuals from this data (maxmsp patch)?? Oh and one other question, could i combine a live webcam feed into the realtime visual? I know im being very open and using very simple terms, but i have not used any of the software yet, have just gotten an overview. Will greatly appreciate feedback,

Matt

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:11pm

¥es, all of the things you mentioned are possible in Maxmsp with Jitter. The transition between Max and Jitter is seamless, you can just join Max and Jitter objects to make the Jitter objects produce visual according to your input data and possible translations/mappings in your program. Webcam feeds can be used in realtime visuals as well.

Allow me to shamelessly plug a video of a performance with our software:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0Ya0DPqes0
This software is all Max/Jitter. It translates input (from a sensorsuit instead of wiimotes). The camera takes sammples (although live feeds are possible as well) and all of that is used to generate visuals.

Not to discourage, but what I should warn you about is the amount of time you’ll need to put in to make your patch. Especially since you have little experience with Max, and I don’t know how much of a programming background you have, this will take a good amount of time. By the time you’ve made your first version you’ll have learned so much about Max you’ll want to start over and do everything again, but better. So ‘the next few months’ sounds a little ambitious, especially when covering a lot of different aspects of Max. Or are you working together with others? In any case, good luck!

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:37pm

Wow, that was amazing nice work there. I totally understand what your saying about time, our lecturers have also said this. (i failed to mention in my last post im in college at them moment) We will be working on individual projects. Thanks, thats great news that it should be possible. I have experience in most media software except for max msp/jitter. It will take time but i am hopeful that i will be able to complete this. I might as well aim high as i see it!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.