Best camera for HD input to Jitter and controlling camera functions?

May 3, 2011 at 2:12pm

Best camera for HD input to Jitter and controlling camera functions?

I just saw that the Canon 7D comes with an HD video monitoring application that allows you to tether your camera to a computer via USB. I’m new to Jitter, but what are the requirements for getting live streaming video input into Jitter? Does it have to come from some sort of interface like a Matrox or can you stream it from something like quicktime pro? Is there some sort of video equivalent to soundflower that would let you screen select the video from an application and run that into other applications (like Jitter)?

This Canon 7D application also lets you access different control parameters that you would find on the camera like zoom, aperture, focus, etc. Does anyone know if there is an API for these controls that I could access within Max? Or is there any other camera out there that people have already successfully controlled/streamed in Jitter? Thanks,

G

Jun 8, 2011 at 8:19pm

did you ever get a good answer to the question about live hd video into the computer/jitter? i need to do the same. the usb on the canon may drop the resolution to standard, but i don’t have a solid answer yet.

Jun 8, 2011 at 8:19pm

did you ever get a good answer to the question about live hd video into the computer/jitter? i need to do the same. the usb on the canon may drop the resolution to standard, but i don’t have a solid answer yet.

Jun 8, 2011 at 11:25pm

serial control of an HD PTZ camera is the best results i have gotten. something that spits out HDSDI for the lowest latency of an hd signal. it coming over usb is a general warning about codecs inline that will slow down capture in jitter significantly. the regular analog out of my sony alpha slr is still so late I dont use it for shows and its also just NTSC. I dont have specific experience with the 7d and its video abilities may have taken canon down a low latency path but in my experience stream right to a pci slot input is the best way to capture in jitter. analog or SDI. use serial/visca to control your camera from within max.

Jun 8, 2011 at 11:25pm

serial control of an HD PTZ camera is the best results i have gotten. something that spits out HDSDI for the lowest latency of an hd signal. it coming over usb is a general warning about codecs inline that will slow down capture in jitter significantly. the regular analog out of my sony alpha slr is still so late I dont use it for shows and its also just NTSC. I dont have specific experience with the 7d and its video abilities may have taken canon down a low latency path but in my experience stream right to a pci slot input is the best way to capture in jitter. analog or SDI. use serial/visca to control your camera from within max.

Jul 20, 2011 at 2:43am

thanks piwolf,

what kind of PTZ camera do you use? they all look pretty expensive. wasn’t even thinking about controlling pan and tilt, but even if I could just change the focus i’d be happy. also for still images id love to find a camera that lets me control the shutter so i could schedule exposures with max. too bad there aren’t any camera companies as far as i can tell that would be willing to work with max developers on creating externals which could give us access to these basic functions on a dslr. maybe with thunderbolt, and the development of new high speed capture technologies this will soon become a reality.

by the way, anyone heard of new thunderbolt cameras in development???

Jul 20, 2011 at 2:43am

thanks piwolf,

what kind of PTZ camera do you use? they all look pretty expensive. wasn’t even thinking about controlling pan and tilt, but even if I could just change the focus i’d be happy. also for still images id love to find a camera that lets me control the shutter so i could schedule exposures with max. too bad there aren’t any camera companies as far as i can tell that would be willing to work with max developers on creating externals which could give us access to these basic functions on a dslr. maybe with thunderbolt, and the development of new high speed capture technologies this will soon become a reality.

by the way, anyone heard of new thunderbolt cameras in development???

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.