Forums > MaxMSP

best object for sequencer data?

August 20, 2013 | 10:05 pm

Hi all. I’ve been working on a monome x0x-style drum sequencer in m4l. plugsync~ is handling the timing duties (with swing!) and js is taking care of button presses and general functionality. Since javascript isn’t good for timing I’m dumping the note data to a matrixctrl to be triggered in time using getcolumn.

Everything is working fine so far but I wonder if there’s something better than matrixctrl. Right now it’s just storing binary values (note-on) but I’m going to add velocity and possibly other parameters to each cell, so matrixctrl seems like a dead end. I looked at jit.matrix but that might be overkill. I’m pretty new to this, so if someone could give me a nudge in the right direction I can hopefuly take it from there.

If it helps, my data structure in javascript is a 2d array of note objects/properties, if that makes sense.

Thanks,
Andrew

August 21, 2013 | 12:53 am

If it ain’t broke…

You can always use coll.

Posting a patch is always a good idea.

August 21, 2013 | 1:09 am

Hello,
have you seen Note for max? http://www.noteformax.net
Philippe

August 21, 2013 | 2:32 am

tons of ways of doing this. I like using multislider for sequencer data, particularly to allow pattern morphing with pattrstorage, but for that you’d need an array of them to handle all your data.

August 21, 2013 | 6:01 am

maybe jitter isn’t that much overkill.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)