Best Preset Method?

May 19, 2009 at 6:09am

Best Preset Method?

OK, so I’m working on my first big Max Project for University, due in this Wednesday. I’ve hit a bit of a brick wall with presets. I’m not sure where to start because I have 100 or so sub patches each of which contains 20 sliders deep within other modules, but I want everything to be recalled from the front panel. That’s going to be a lot of processing for the preset handlers I imagine, so that’s one thing, but first off where should I start? Am I right in thinking I can’t store presets wirelessly? Thanks, and sorry to be a pain, I’ve looked through the help file on presets but they don’t mention anything about string parameters inside other sub-patches.

May 19, 2009 at 7:18am

use pattrstorage. if using bpatchers or separate patches as objects, drop an autopattr into each bpatcher/patch; if the subpatches are a patcher object (like [p subpatch], rather than [subpatch]), you don’t even have to a put an autopattr in each individual patch, only in the main patch.

after putting autopattr in the proper places, create a pattrstorage object, name it, then link a preset object to this pattrstorage via the inspector (this is possible only in Max 5). check out the helpfile for more on wonderful pattr technology.

May 19, 2009 at 10:59am

But be aware that autopattr will work only with named objects, excepted if its autoname attribute is enabled (@autoname 1)

May 19, 2009 at 3:41pm

Works a treat thank you both for your input, had to enable the auto-naming like you mentioned Phijel, thanks for that. It’s a lot faster than I imagined!

May 20, 2009 at 2:11pm
electrogear wrote on Tue, 19 May 2009 10:41
Works a treat thank you both for your input, had to enable the auto-naming like you mentioned Phijel, thanks for that. It’s a lot faster than I imagined!

it rocks.

one caveat, be sure you exclude certain things from the pattrstorage, by using the exclude connection outlet on the autopattr. common ones I watch for are gates, which may be separate logic from what you want to store as presets… another one is any “master” number which directly controls multiple others (like a main volume slider, or when sending X Y Z at once to a [scale] for a GL object). I don’t think the order of restoring the pattr-ified objects can be controlled, so you’d often get the multiple values (which you wanted separately) restored first, then the master one gets restored and sets them all to the same number.

Also you can check and uncheck whole bpatchers in the clientwindow, or single elements. On that note, a question: if you uncheck one bpatcher for storing a slot, then check it for storing another, what happens when you try to interpolate? Or is the check box more of a “mute/unmute” during interpolation, like with [mtr]?

Guess I can just go try it…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.