best way to sync SEQ~ to an audiofile?

Sep 24, 2007 at 3:11am

best way to sync SEQ~ to an audiofile?

I want to play a single audio file with known tempo and have the Seq~ object sync to it.

What is the most reliable way to do this?

Also I want to be bale to set the length of SEQ to multiples of bars, I think I am missing the obvious way to do this (e.g. make 2 bar loop or 4 bar loop etc.)

thanks!

Sep 24, 2007 at 4:06pm

Moved this topic from the archives to the MaxMSP forum, please reply to the MaxMSP list.

Sep 24, 2007 at 4:25pm

Just to update:

I am using sync~ now to drive the seq~ object. So if I want to have everything sync to a tempo I can send this tempo value to sync~. However, in order to make the Seq~ play one bar, I need to divide the tempo value by 4 before sending it to sync~ (2 bars divide by 8, etc.)

Instead of keeping the SEQ~ object synced to a soundfile playing (I will work on this later). I am just having it sync to different loops I load and play in the wave~ object.
In order to use sync~ to drive these loops as well,I had to write a patch that would determine how many bars the loop I am loading is so that it could determine the appropriate subdivider of the tempo value for sync~. e.g. if my seq~ loop is one bar then sync output is divided by 4 while the audio loop being played at the same time may be 16 bars so it’s sync value would have to be divided by 64.

I think that what I am trying to do should be simple but I feel like I am over complicating it.

The final goal:

I want a patch that pre-loads a bunch of different loops (of different sizes) into buffers. I may need to manually set (and store in coll) the length of each buffer in bars so that when they are loaded into wave~ they play at the right pitch given the current tempo. So basically I have a loop playback system. Nothing new.

The other half of the patch employs a seq~ object to record loops of midi notes from a single source. I will be constantly clearing, overdubbing or just playing the midi loops and they should always be in sync with the audio loops.

any tips?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.