Big problems with mbox output

Nov 5, 2006 at 6:55pm

Big problems with mbox output

I have an ibook G4, and an original Mbox. I’m trying to run a max/msp patch that records a segment of the input sound into a buffer, then plays it back with various effects, while the playthrough sound continues. I configured the audio/midi setup so that the mbox is chosen for both input and output, and attached a set of speakers to the headphone jack on the mbox. The patch seems to record okay, but when I try to play anything back it comes out of the internal speakers, and when I use the playthrough, I get only screechy feedback, also through the internal speakers. My thought is that maybe the ibook’s internal microphone is still kicking in for some reason — when I open the DSP status, it’s lists the input source as internal microphone and output destination as internal speakers, but it doesn’t give me any other choices.

I’m very confused and have no idea what to try next. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,
Erika

#28536
Nov 6, 2006 at 9:23am

If I’m not mistaken, you are having these issues because the mbox hardware is designed to be used exclusively by Digidesign software. In addition, Digidesign is notorious for being hardline advocates of proprietary software. This is also the reason that you do not get “other choices” from the dropdown menus in Max/MSP’s DSP Settings window.

As for what to try next, you could get an 1/8″-to-dual-1/4″ y-adapter (1/8″ male) and then plug it into your headphone jack, using the 1/4″ outputs to connect to speakers.

You say the audio is recording (which is surprising in and of itself), so you really only have to worry about your output stage.

#87759
Nov 6, 2006 at 5:16pm

#87760
Nov 8, 2006 at 9:52am

I hear digi is just average when it comes to implementing drivers outside of whatever the fuck protools uses.

#87761
Nov 11, 2006 at 9:15am

Erika Lieberman wrote:
> The patch seems to record okay, but when I try to play anything back
> it comes out of the internal speakers, and when I use the
> playthrough, I get only screechy feedback, also through the internal
> speakers. My thought is that maybe the ibook’s internal microphone is
> still kicking in for some reason

Yes, you didn’t switch to the correct driver. Audio/Midi setup’s setting
is only important for programs which are not able to choose a driver.
Max is able to do so and will stick to the last choice which was the
built-in audio…

> I’m very confused and have no idea what to try next. Any suggestions
> would be appreciated.

Did you install the Digi CoreAudio Manager? If so you still need to
choose the Digi driver in the DSP Status…

It is possible to work with a MBox and Max/MSP. Did it often enough,
though the setup with Digi is not even close to be intuitive.
But beware, it is not possible run ProTools and any other programm on
the Mbox at the same time…

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

#87762

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.