Forums > MaxMSP

Big set – CPU strategy ?

May 1, 2008 | 7:16 am

Hi list.

And quite new to MAx (6 months now) and need some assistance on a particular point.

I’m currently working on the musical part of a dance performance.

I have 10 different sets (patches). They all deal with real-time audio or video processing, using contact mics and/or video tracking.

Now the problem is: they all work fine independently, but if i want the audio to be continuous between the scenes (making transitions), i need to load and run at least 2 patches at the same time (1 + 2 / 2 + 3 / 3 + 4 etc…)

So I tried different approaches for this, the first is one mega-patch containing all ten subpatches, and muting (with mute~) all unused patches successively, but even whith muting, i have severe audio dropouts and clicks.

The other approach was having a "control center" patch loading externally all the patches one after the other with always 2 sets open at the same time. (Opening nr 3 closes nr 1, opening nr 4 closes nr 2, etc…) but i also have (sometimes long) audio interruptions during loading times.

So… i’m wondering if you can share some knowledge to help me solve this issue.

(And oh yes… i also have to run Ableton Live in parallel to route some audio back and forth. But the problem arise even without Live)

Thanks in advance !

Philippe

max 4.6.3 with MBP 2,33 dualcore 2 Gb Ram


May 1, 2008 | 9:03 am

Hi,

with Max5 you can change dinamically the subpatch included in a poly~.

So you can use two main poly~ where you change the subpatch.

Don’t know if this applies to video too.

All the best


Alessandro Fogar

http://www.fogar.it

2008/5/1 Philippe Jelli

:
>
> Hi list.
>
> And quite new to MAx (6 months now) and need some assistance on a particular point.
>
> I’m currently working on the musical part of a dance performance.
>
> I have 10 different sets (patches). They all deal with real-time audio or video processing, using contact mics and/or video tracking.
>
> Now the problem is: they all work fine independently, but if i want the audio to be continuous between the scenes (making transitions), i need to load and run at least 2 patches at the same time (1 + 2 / 2 + 3 / 3 + 4 etc…)
>
> So I tried different approaches for this, the first is one mega-patch containing all ten subpatches, and muting (with mute~) all unused patches successively, but even whith muting, i have severe audio dropouts and clicks.
>
> The other approach was having a "control center" patch loading externally all the patches one after the other with always 2 sets open at the same time. (Opening nr 3 closes nr 1, opening nr 4 closes nr 2, etc…) but i also have (sometimes long) audio interruptions during loading times.
>
> So… i’m wondering if you can share some knowledge to help me solve this issue.
>
> (And oh yes… i also have to run Ableton Live in parallel to route some audio back and forth. But the problem arise even without Live)
>
> Thanks in advance !
>
> Philippe
>
> max 4.6.3 with MBP 2,33 dualcore 2 Gb Ram
>
>


May 1, 2008 | 9:22 am

Thanks for your reply.

unfortunately, for this one i have to stay in 4.6.3, because it uses some externals not yet available for 5 (ICST Ambisonics)

And by the way, i don’t use much poly’s (excepted maybe in one or two patches), but a lot of buffers.

Maybe that’s what causing the problem at loading time.

Ph


May 1, 2008 | 9:33 am

On 01-mai-08, at 09:16, Philippe Jelli wrote:

> So I tried different approaches for this, the first is one mega-patch
> containing all ten subpatches, and muting (with mute~) all unused
> patches successively, but even whith muting, i have severe audio
> dropouts and clicks.

Another approach is to use [poly~ subpatch_1 1], [poly~ subpatch_2 1],
[poly~ subpatch_3 1], etc. i.e. a poly with only one voice and mute
that voice when it is not used. It is suppose to work better than
[mute~] and worked well for me so far.

Of course, you have to make sure 2 subpatches can run concurrently.

p


May 1, 2008 | 9:40 am

Hi.
Did you try to load all patches together and mute them on load (I’ve
always prefered use [poly~] rather than [mute~] for that kind of things).
This way, you just need to mute/unmute them for your transitions,
without loading patches on the fly (which is probably the cause of your
audio dropouts).

@Alessandro
I guess that dynamically changing your poly~ will also create audio
dropouts (as for scripting, …).

Ciao.


May 1, 2008 | 10:13 am

mmmh. I never thought of using poly~ for this purpose, i’ll give it a try.

But i’m wondering, some patches use realtime video analysis, or submixes dac~’s to send audio to Live (using soundflower), will this work inside of a poly ?

The first test i did gives me a lot of error messages like "signal outlet (*~) or (gain~) connected to nonsignal inlet (dac~)" when i enclose my subpatch inside a poly~

i suppose i’ll have to drastically change the global architecture of my patches, if i want to use poly~, and put all these sends out of the poly~ – i’m not to familiar with these

Thanks a lot for your help.


May 1, 2008 | 12:23 pm

Hi,

2008/5/1 gusano :

> @Alessandro
> I guess that dynamically changing your poly~ will also create audio dropouts
> (as for scripting, …).

Not in Max5.

All the best


Alessandro Fogar

http://www.fogar.it


May 1, 2008 | 4:14 pm

Ok, ignore my previous post, all my routings seems to work fine, even inside the poly’s.

I still have some clicks and glitches, but nothing to compare with the previous situation. I think i need to clean my patches and remove all unnecessary objects like number boxes and waveforms…

Thanks again

Ph


May 3, 2008 | 10:08 am

Alessandro Fogar schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> with Max5 you can change dinamically the subpatch included in a poly~.
>
> So you can use two main poly~ where you change the subpatch.

How? It isn’t mentioned in the docs… (And how would you deal with
different numbers of ins/outs???)
This was pssoble for vst~ in Max 4 already, but as pluggos don’t work in
Max 5, it isn’t an option in Max 5…

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com


May 3, 2008 | 10:23 am

I found here this information

http://www.cycling74.com/docs/max5/vignettes/core/compat_plugin.html

for in-out I suppose we have to build a ‘prototype’ poly~ with the maximum in-out number needed…

matteo


May 3, 2008 | 10:31 am

Well,

I didn’t try but here they tell about it:

http://www.cycling74.com/products/maxup25d

I agree with you that you cannon find it in the docs.

Now we need a confirm from Cycling elves, is it true ?

About the different nubers of in/out: I think you have to deal with by
yourself (dummy inouts and outputs for example).

All the best


Alessandro Fogar

http://www.fogar.it

2008/5/3 Stefan Tiedje :
> Alessandro Fogar schrieb:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> with Max5 you can change dinamically the subpatch included in a poly~.
>>
>> So you can use two main poly~ where you change the subpatch.
>
> How? It isn’t mentioned in the docs… (And how would you deal with
> different numbers of ins/outs???)
> This was pssoble for vst~ in Max 4 already, but as pluggos don’t work in
> Max 5, it isn’t an option in Max 5…
>
> Stefan
>
> –
> Stefan Tiedje————x——-
> –_____———–|————–
> –(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
> — _|_)—-|—–()————–
> ———-()——–www.ccmix.com
>
>
>


May 5, 2008 | 10:24 am

matpe wrote:
> I found here this information
>
> http://www.cycling74.com/docs/max5/vignettes/core/compat_plugin.html
>

Wow, that’s *great* !
Thanx C74 !!!


Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)