Forums > MaxMSP

Bitcrushing

January 24, 2008 | 11:47 am

Is it possible to bit crush within max msp?
How might one go about doing this?

Cheers lads


January 24, 2008 | 1:31 pm

Yes is possible. See degrade~

Alternatively you could use poly~ to downsample and I’m sure its possible to
quantize your audio signal (amplitude) using msp objects to fake bit depth
reduction.

Thijs

On Jan 24, 2008 11:47 AM, Joe Bicker wrote:

> Is it possible to bit crush within max msp?
> How might one go about doing this?
>
> Cheers lads
>
>
>

http://www.nano-soundworks.com


January 24, 2008 | 2:19 pm

Yeah shortly after I sent this email, a friend mentioned dithering. I typde
that into the object search and saw downsamp~, looked at the helpfile and
found degrade~ does bit reduction.
Thanks for your time anyway!

On 24/01/2008, Thijs Koerselman

wrote:
>
> Yes is possible. See degrade~
>
> Alternatively you could use poly~ to downsample and I’m sure its possible
> to quantize your audio signal (amplitude) using msp objects to fake bit
> depth reduction.
>
> Thijs
>
>
>
> On Jan 24, 2008 11:47 AM, Joe Bicker wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to bit crush within max msp?
> > How might one go about doing this?
> >
> > Cheers lads
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> –
> http://www.nano-soundworks.com
>
>


January 24, 2008 | 3:18 pm

You may also want to look at lp.nn~, which supports fractional bit-depths (can you say "continuous sweep of bit resolution"?) as well as downsampling. Dithering is an additional option.

Lp.nn~ is part of the Litter Starter Pack, which however, only supports CFM on the Mac side (ie, will only work with Max/MSP up to v4.5.x). This is not an issue in Windowsland. The version in the Litter Pro Bundle is, of course, UB-capable in the Mac OS world.

Best,
Peter


January 24, 2008 | 3:30 pm

Hi,

> Lp.nn~ is part of the Litter Starter Pack, which however, only supports CFM on the Mac side (ie, will only work with Max/MSP up to v4.5.x). This is not an issue in Windowsland. The version in the Litter Pro Bundle is, of course, UB-capable in the Mac OS world.

I think if I am not wrong that it will work too with Max 4.6.x on
non-Intel Macs (if you asked yes when prompted to install the CFM
compatibility library).

All the best


Alessandro Fogar

http://www.fogar.it


January 25, 2008 | 10:16 pm

Thanks Alessandro — yes, you are right. Litter Starter Pack w/ Max 4.6 on PPC w/CFM-compatibility will also do the trick.

Best — Peter


Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)