Forums > MaxMSP

Block a specific list from going through? (But let the rest through)

December 22, 2011 | 2:11 pm

I’m using the ‘mtr’ object to record/playback monome button presses and since I have a state machine going, I have to record the messages at the button press level.

The problem is I’m also inadvertently recording, and playback back my record/playback button presses. So the moment I hit ‘play’ on mtr, it stops….

I want to block a specific list from going through. In this case "360". I would normally use a route object and leave the left inlet unconnected so everything else goes through, but I don’t know how to do this with a list.

Something like this would be ideal (though it doesn’t work)

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

December 22, 2011 | 2:32 pm

Hi Rodrigo,

This does the job.

FRid

December 22, 2011 | 2:40 pm

Perfect thank you!

December 22, 2011 | 2:45 pm

Had to double it up since it seems "3 6 1" also breaks ‘mtr’ in my patch.

It’s not pretty but it works.

December 22, 2011 | 3:15 pm

Running on assumptions here but i guess 0 is off, 1 is on? If so i’d suggest scanning for "3 6" instead of "3 6 0/1" and also i’d suggest using [seq~] instead of mtr, it sync’s to a phasor and is sampleaccurate.

FRid

December 22, 2011 | 3:25 pm

And while i’m at it

December 22, 2011 | 3:25 pm

Yeah 0/1 is off/on.

That’s much more elegant, thanks.

I’ll take a look at seq~ though for my purposes sample accurate isn’t too important. mtr also lets me record dynamically sized sequences easily (I can have the phasor go to that size, but again, for my purposes it’s overkill).

December 22, 2011 | 3:29 pm

I had to do a hack to get mtr to loop, so I have a whole subpatcher built around the logic/looping of mtr.

December 22, 2011 | 3:40 pm

:) See the last post in the link for my attempt, completely inefficient in terms of resources (all the UI and once you start running a metro you can’t shut it down? damn…) but it worked/s! Made some crazy stuff with that.

Anyway glad to be of help,
FRid

http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=26860

December 22, 2011 | 3:53 pm

Mine isn’t too bad, though the rest of the patch around it is getting messier and messier…..

I’ve tried to be real meticulous about annotating and compartmentalizing everything, but it kind of gets away from you, particularly as patches get bigger and bigger.

The loop code is tweaked off something I found on the forum a while back.

December 22, 2011 | 4:13 pm

Nice one!

"getting messier and messier….." Yeah, i know. I’ve built some monsters in the past to such a degree where i couldn’t decipher the interface anymore. Nowadays i just make small managable patches and let them evolve over time so i can keep up.

December 22, 2011 | 11:29 pm

Hmm, I tried posting the patch, but it seems to not add a reply and kick me out to the main forum (the patch is very long). Weird.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)