bootcamp: will max run in xp mode on a macbookpro?

Apr 5, 2006 at 7:56am

could you post a link to the site with the video tutorial on?

thanks
Will

Apr 5, 2006 at 6:39pm

bootcamp: will max run in xp mode on a macbookpro?

apple today launched bootcamp. so it s official. We could run windows xp on an intelmac if we have reason for that.
My reason to use xp on a macbook pro would be to be able to run max msp and jitter on a dual processor laptop.
For the time being this would be the solution to use, awaiting the universal binaries version of max and jitter.
When the max UB version is released I could easily switch to mac osx as the host.
If it works ‘ i ll order my macbook immediately.
If there are early adopters of bootcamp that are testing XP on their intelmacs and test max on this configuration…please let me know what are your findings…..
Reactions are very much appreciated.

thnx

regards from a techgirl in amsterdam

Apr 5, 2006 at 7:05pm

Hello,

I did not test it myself but I really don’t see why it wouldn’t work… Running windows on an Intel Mac is like running windows on any other computer. The only difference is the way it boots (BIOS vs EFI) and hackers (and then Apple) have dealt with the problem. Basically having an Intel Mac is like having a fully functional PC and a fully functional Mac…

Apr 5, 2006 at 10:38pm

Apr 5, 2006 at 10:46pm

Apr 5, 2006 at 10:49pm

hmmm I it says on these bue screens that the computer may be damaged……..Is it possble to damage hardware with software?
Could it be that xp cause damge to a macbook…..? ???

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:00am

This type of bluescreen is usually related to RAM problems and in all the years I have been repairing PCs (I like it :P) I have never seen a computer being damaged because of the bluescreen. Usually it’s the other way around, you get this screen because your hardware is already damaged.

Apr 6, 2006 at 3:37am

Update : I just checked a video tutorial and Apple includes all the necessary drivers, so basically it should work just great, apart from the blue screens :P

Apr 6, 2006 at 6:43am

The B.S.O.T.D is part of the Windows martyr. It usualy don’t mean you’ve
really fucked up something in your computer, but something more like : i
got a driver conflict, two or more applications were using the same
zone, the ram is overloaded, of i got an IRQ conflict. It’s, most of the
time, related to sound card (yes) and graphic card. Or when you try to
play a StarForce protected game without the keys…

Glad to see it on a mac. :-)

best

f.e

Apr 6, 2006 at 8:46am

Apr 6, 2006 at 10:40am

Apr 6, 2006 at 2:57pm

Apr 11, 2006 at 8:10pm

I put this in a different thread. The answer is yes, it’s quite speedy, I’ve done it.

mzed

Apr 12, 2006 at 8:22am

thatis nice to hear. Can I expect the same performance as in OSX?

Apr 12, 2006 at 7:58pm

Quote: macho30@xs4all.nl wrote on Wed, 12 April 2006 01:22
—————————————————-
> thatis nice to hear. Can I expect the same performance as in OSX?
—————————————————-

Hard to say. The politic answer is that it depends on exactly what you are doing. To quote Joshua Kit Clayton:

“…in our tests so far, some things will be faster under XP and some things will be faster under OS X running native Max/MSP/Jitter on the same MacTel hardware. Different compilers, different operating systems, different driver models, and differing levels of QT, OpenGL, etc. support leads to differing performance even on the same HW. For some applications you might want XP for maximum performance, for others OS X.”

My personal feeling is that XP might be faster for many realtime applications, for two reasons. Microsoft has been at the x86 game for longer than Apple. XP’s memory managment is more biased towards single application performance, at the expense of stability and multitasking.

Until there’s a native version of Max for Intel/OSX, though, it’s all speculation.

mz

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.