Forums > MaxMSP

bpatcher / buffer~ problem

June 6, 2010 | 3:26 pm

Could someone tell me why I can’t use the patcher in attachment as a bpatcher in a main patch in which I placed my buffer~ #1 objects?

The attachment contains one ‘main-bpachter’ which you should open. The other two files are ‘sub-bpatchers’.

If I use this ‘main-bpatcher’ in my main patch, nothing is recorded into my buffer~ objects which are placed in the main patcher.
If I copy paste the whole ‘main-bpatcher’ content into my main patch and don’t use it as a bpatcher, everything works fine and I can record perfectly into my buffers~.
Can’t one maybe use poke~ or groove~ objects in bpatchers? Can’t imagine that. Don’t see the problem though.

Thanx a lot.
Cheers
Peer

June 6, 2010 | 3:54 pm

In "bpatcher_record" there is a poly, but the patch "poly_buffer_recording" is missing.
Maybe you have to check if it is the right directory.

regards max

June 6, 2010 | 7:13 pm

oh I just forgot to put it in the zip, but it’s there….
now a zip with the poly~
sorry for that…but that can’t be the problem

June 6, 2010 | 9:03 pm

Hey Raja,

that’s exactly the problem ! poke~ #1 works perfectly in the main patcher but if I use it in a bpatcher I really always get a poke~ 0 object….
Ok…I check out your patches and tell you later how far I came.
Thanx so far.

Cheers
Peer

June 6, 2010 | 9:20 pm

Hey Raja,
this f*** works !! Thanx so much. How did you find that out ???
Anyway, it’s a pitty that I can’t rename my poke~ #1 and groove~ #1 object with a umenu within the bpatcher without renaming the bpatcher itself – and as far as I know I can only rename the bpatcher manually.
So for every poke~ I need a seperate bpatcher with a name for its own…..wow…..my patch becomes bigger and bigger…

Thanx so much for your help. I would have NEVER found that out by myself……
Cheers
Peer

June 7, 2010 | 8:28 am

Hey Raja,
ok…now I have it :-) :-)
I understand. The important thing is to give a name to the bpatcher if you work with ‘#1′ arguments.
Honestly, now I can remember that I heard about that in one of the courses of my great master but it was at a very hidden place in my head ;-)

Thanx again for all your help.
It helps a lot not to make my main patcher look too complicated.
Have a fine week.

Cheers
Peer

June 7, 2010 | 11:03 am

I nearly don’t dare to ask anymore, but do you know why there are problems if I use an ezdac~ object in a bpatcher?
Couldn’t find anything about that anywhere. Again the same thing: if I use it in the main patcher it works fine, if I use it in the bpatcher I have to switch in on and off twice before getting a sound…..

Thanx for your patience
Peer

June 7, 2010 | 5:30 pm

Hey Raja,
thanx again for all your advice. I just blew up my laptop – don’t know how I did that ;-) Luckily I have AppleCare.
I’m astonished how much you know and how much you know about all the articles on the forum. Amazing.
Of course it’s not a problem to put the ezdac into the main patcher. I was just wondering about the reason of this bpatcher problem…thanx to you I know more now ;-)

Thanx again and again and again.
Enjoy the week :-)
Greetz
Peer

June 7, 2010 | 8:58 pm

well, I was lucky today. never found an apple shop like that. they took out my hard disc and put it in a laptop of their own which they borrowed me for a couple of days so that I can work on till my laptop is repaired. what a service !!! but indeed, I know other apple stores.
anyway…my first apple laptop had a broken motherboard after 1,5 years…no guarantee – I could buy a new one. since this happened I always take apple care and for my latest laptop this saved me already at least 1500-2000euros…..

and yeah, max is cool, but if you are a musician you are sometimes doubting if you shouldn’t better put the time in your instrument. As usual with any programme: the deeper you go, the more complicated it becomes….but we go on fighting ;-)..and sometimes enjoying….

talk to you soon
All the best

June 8, 2010 | 4:58 pm

Hey Raja,
could u help me with this patch please? It’s an old one of Stefan and I really would like to use it but I’m already spending hours with trying to modify it for reverse playback and it doesn’t work. My problem is the trapezoid object which I’m not used to and I can’t find any helpful explanation….

sorry for disturbing you again….

June 8, 2010 | 7:26 pm

trapezoid~ help-file is a bit succinct, but from there, you can click the trapezoid~ reference and that explains much more.

-> did that, didn’t explain too much to me…sorry :-o

but your problem is not in trapezoid~ but rather in the < ==~ 1> below it and also in using ‘startloop’ message. Basically when the sync-signal from groove~’s right-outlet hits 1, < ==~ 1> outputs a 1 for just that moment/sample which triggers edge~’s right-outlet bang(when the 1 goes back to 0 afterwards to signal beginning of ramp again).
when you go in reverse, you want that to be < ==~ 0> (because in reverse, the end point of the ramp is not 1 but 0).

-> I also figured that out, but it didn’t help a lot cause I tried to solve this problem and then I tried to solve the ‘startloop’ problem…but I never tried to solve both problems at the same time and that was the problem I guess ;-)

also, your problem will also be that the ‘startloop’ message will not start the reverse playing loop from the end of the loop as you’d like, but from the start of the loop(then it travels in reverse, but it finds no audio because it’s already at the beginning of the buffer~…), so you also need to replace ‘startloop’ message with a changing message that applies to each situation(the exact start of the loop in ms when playing forward, and the exact end of the loop in ms when playing in reverse)

-> yep….that’ll make it…you just replace the ‘startloop’ with the loop-end-point in ms….and that’s it :-)

this patch is very similar to an example patch which you should study to gain more familiarity with these techniques located in your max app folder here:
Max5/examples/sequencing-looping/audio-rate-sequencing-looping/grooveduck.maxhelp
(or grooveduck2.maxhelp in that same folder; as well as the other files in that folder and the ‘lib’ folder within that folder…)
‘grooveduck’ is pretty popular and well-known(everyone talks about it here on the forums and it’s evident that Stefan created this crossfading-double-groove~ idea with the same knowledge in mind).

-> I looked at grooveduck and grooveduck2 which I also found on this forum but they didn’t help me. But I’ll have a look again…promised

also, i don’t mind answering, but you might want to address your questions to everyone in general, because if there’s a chance i miss it, or i’m away from the forums for awhile, other people might not bother to answer if they see it’s addressed only to me(in this case, particularly, you’d probably want Stefan to answer as well; i don’t even quite understand the purpose of the 2 groove~s. They go one after the other, but using an edge~ trigger, there can be a bit of a delay, so it seems this could also be possible with just one groove~(and they are attached to separate left and right channels, i guess granular would sound interesting but there are other ways of doing this), again, Stefan and others who have used the patch would know better than me). but no worries, i’m happy to help whenever i find the time.

-> I thought that too and put the question also on the ‘normal’ forum after I wrote to you. I didn’t hear sth from Stefan for quite a while that’s why. And also I have to say, that I would never put a question on the forum before having tried to solve it by myself for 5-10 hours….today I spent the whole day with that and I couldn’t figure it out so I got a bit stressed – which never helps of course :-) :-) …and makes it even worse…

this is my best attempt, but i think now, when you reverse, it will trigger both at the same time rather than one after the other(i didn’t have time to figure it out completely, but this might be because trapezoid~ up/down also needs to be adjusted, not sure…) i’ll let you figure that out:

- >here is my very simple solution which only works with negative values now, but it’s no problem to modify it to work with both (just using a gate or sth similiar).

Again thanx a lot
Cheers
Peer

June 8, 2010 | 7:29 pm

and here the very simple solution…maybe I’m wrong

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)