Forums > MaxMSP

bpatcher popup?

June 17, 2009 | 4:23 pm

hi,
I can’t find a message (I know the rightclick) to let a bpatcher popup in a new view window. "front" to thispatcher only works within [patcher]. Ideas?

johann

June 17, 2009 | 4:54 pm

Assuming you’re in Max5, and have the bpatcher linked to a patch, or have ‘embed patcher in parent’ selected:

Right Click -> Object -> "New View of "

June 17, 2009 | 8:10 pm

thank you, but I already know about the rightclick. Isn’t there a corresponding message for bpatcher (like the front to [thispatcher] in a [patcher])?
when the patcher is locked, there’s no way to rightclick a bpatcher….

June 17, 2009 | 9:41 pm

Ah, I misunderstood. As far as I can tell from a quick look at the documentation, it’s not possible to make a new view programatically:

"It’s important to note that views are part of the editing environment of Max, not the runtime environment. For example, you cannot save a patcher so that it will open in multiple views."

bpatchers are not normal patches, so using the [pcontrol] object also seems to be non-functional in this case. [patcher] objects, I assume, have the ‘opening a new window’ function built into the object itself, while bpatchers gain that ability from max 5′s multiple views feature.

The only thing I could think of is to have your bpatcher be referencing a linked file, and set it up so that you can ‘modify read only’. Then you’d be able to edit the linked file and have the changes reflected in your bpatcher.

http://www.cycling74.com/docs/max5/vignettes/core/patcher_views.html

September 25, 2010 | 8:56 pm

do there happen to be changes in max5 since these posts allowing it to open a "new view" of a bpatcher by sending a message to the bpatcher-object ?
thanks!

September 25, 2010 | 10:56 pm

of course, what you could do is that you have [p allmystuff] in your bpatcher patch and
open that.

November 10, 2010 | 5:02 pm

did that too,
but it’s not really pretty
thanks anyway!

November 10, 2010 | 10:23 pm

What is the purpose? If its debugging, I use the context menu with ctrl-click to open a new view.
If you need it as part of your user interface, it would be hard to deal with, as you always have to switch from presentation to patching mode which I would consider bad design…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)