buffer problem? please help

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:57pm

buffer problem? please help

Hi all, I have attatched a patch (its one peice of an instrument i am building)

If you click on the message boxes you send a millisecond message to the buffer ‘end time’ which is all good excpet i don’t understand why the time is ‘re-sized’

Is this a Max thing or something to do with the buffer object perhaps,

please help its driving me nuts

many thanks in advance

Ali ;)

Apr 26, 2011 at 5:32pm

The difference appears to be one sample. A rounding issue?

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Apr 26, 2011 at 11:19pm

Hi jvkr,

silly question to ask, but if it is a matter of max giving a rounded number instead of the one sent, is that alway always always going to be the exact number used by an object in max (the rounded up/down one), or is it possible that the object will function as you intend but the number displayed might not update on screen fast enough/accuratley enough.

obviously my head says if there are 2 different samples with a different length in milliseconds for each then looping will eventually expose a lack of sync but if its just a number box issue (updating in increments when numbers get small) and something you can’t change then thats ok.

on the other hand if the difference is one sample, does that mean that changing dsp settings would affect it? I have tried combinations of sample, bit, vector sizes etc but the number is a max rather than msp signal right? , im still a little confused as to why max would round the number 1000 to 999.98, if that is an increment of 1 sample how can i make the message passed be more accurate?

MSP tutorial 14 has an example that I think will work which i will test and let you know if it works or not, if it doesn’t im stuck?!?

Apr 27, 2011 at 6:47am

A little experiment confirms that the duration of the loop is one sample shorter when it receives the value from waveform. That said, the waveform doesn’t seem to be designed to make sample accurate selections in the first place. If instead you send the number directly, instead of trough the waveform, there is no problem. Otherwise it is still possible to add 1 sample worth of ms to the value coming from waveform. It seems, waveform not only displays waveforms, but can also be use to subtract a sample. Versatile…

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:46pm

hi jvkr, i changed my instrument to have no waveform object and re-jigged a few objects and it works fine now, thanks for your help and the demo patch to see how many samples are being sent/received.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.