[bug] Max 5 buttonflower example patch uses 90%+ CPU

Apr 23, 2008 at 11:45am

[bug] Max 5 buttonflower example patch uses 90%+ CPU

Thanks for the great work on Max, lots of exciting stuff. However, I
noticed what seems to be a bug with scripting.

When looking at the Max/examples/max-tricks/buttonflower.maxpat patch
in Max 5 the patch uses sometimes 90% or more of my CPU than with on
4.6.3 (MaxMSP 4.6/examples/misc-max-trix/buttonflower.pat) which only
uses around 36% max. With this patch open in Max 5, my computer gets
almost completely unresponsive. I’m using Mac OS 10.4.11 with a 1.67
Powerbook/2GB RAM. I’m using Activity Monitor on OS X for my CPU
percentages. Can anyone reproduce this?

#37107
Apr 23, 2008 at 11:55am

For me, only 22 % CPU at the maximum with the buttonflower (with a MacBook Pro 2.33)

#127857
Apr 23, 2008 at 12:32pm

on a win desktop with e6400 processor
if the toggles go outside the screen, not over 22%. otherwise 4-8%
btw. thats some crazy shit

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Thomas Collin wrote:

>
> For me, only 22 % CPU at the maximum with the buttonflower (with a MacBook
> Pro 2.33)
>

#127858
Apr 23, 2008 at 2:13pm

must be a G4 thing – my iBook (OS X 10.5.2, 1.33 Ghz, 1.5 GB ram) hits 82 -
88% CPU when buttonflower is running.But the boot time for MaxMSP 5 is much,
much snappier!

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 5:32 AM, yair reshef wrote:

> on a win desktop with e6400 processor
> if the toggles go outside the screen, not over 22%. otherwise 4-8%
> btw. thats some crazy shit
>
>
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Thomas Collin wrote:
>
> >
> > For me, only 22 % CPU at the maximum with the buttonflower (with a
> > MacBook Pro 2.33)
> >
>
>
>
>


Arliss Renwick
support@nsda.bc.ca

Neale Staniszkis Doll Adams Architects
201 – 134 Abbott Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 2K4
T 604.669.1926
F 604.683.2241
http://www.nsda.bc.ca

Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this e-mail is
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, copying or distribution of this communication, or
the taking of action in reliance on the content of this communication, is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error,
please notify us immediately, and delete all copies.

#127859
Apr 23, 2008 at 2:34pm

So is it only scripting which is affected for you, because on my end
(G4, 1.67, 10.4.11, 2GB RAM) many patches (same patch file) are using
sometimes double the CPU % amount in Max 5 when compared side by side
with 4.6.3.

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:13 AM, Arliss Renwick wrote:
> must be a G4 thing – my iBook (OS X 10.5.2, 1.33 Ghz, 1.5 GB ram) hits 82 -
> 88% CPU when buttonflower is running.
> But the boot time for MaxMSP 5 is much, much snappier!

#127860
Apr 23, 2008 at 4:44pm

Almost 60% CPU in MAX5 here. Around 17% in max 4.6. I’m on a Macbook pro 2,33mhz. That’s quite a difference.

#127861
Apr 23, 2008 at 6:31pm

On Apr 23, 2008, at 9:44 AM, Lut Lei wrote:
>
> Almost 60% CPU in MAX5 here. Around 17% in max 4.6. I’m on a Macbook
> pro 2,33mhz. That’s quite a difference.

Patches that script objects to move around in the patcher (especially
outside of the window bounds) are going to be slower. Not much is
going to be done about that. Good news is that this is rarely done
except in purely illustrative examples such as that one.

-Joshua

#127862

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.