BUG midout doesn't change port on Windows Vista

Jun 15, 2008 at 8:57pm

BUG midout doesn't change port on Windows Vista

Hi there,
I wrote a patch on OSX then sent it to friends to check it out on windows.
One told me that the midiout didn’t work properly.
Apparently, if he changes by hand (double click) the port it works, if if sends message with port’s letter from Max pref, it works.
But if he use the message from a unmenu, filled with a midiinfo, it never work.
He tried on window XP and it worked.

can anyone confirm this to know if it is a real bug or just an issue with my friend’s setup ?

Many thanks

Olivier

#38425
Jun 19, 2008 at 4:42pm

is this bug in the radar for next update ?

thx

#134058
Jun 19, 2008 at 5:34pm

Let’s have a look at the patch

Is it exactly the same as the help file?

-A

#134059
Jun 19, 2008 at 6:55pm

Quote: Andrew Pask wrote on Thu, 19 June 2008 19:34
—————————————————-
> Let’s have a look at the patch
>
> Is it exactly the same as the help file?
>
> -A
—————————————————-

thanks andrew for help me.

here is the patch, actually a bpatcher managing the midi settings in a bigger patch.

I repeat that this patch works fine in OSX but I was told that on Vista the midiout object does’nt want to take port messages.
In windows XP it is ok.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
#134060
Jun 19, 2008 at 6:56pm

Quote: Andrew Pask wrote on Thu, 19 June 2008 19:34
—————————————————-
> Let’s have a look at the patch
>
> Is it exactly the same as the help file?
>
> -A
—————————————————-

thanks Andrew for helping me.

here is the patch, actually a bpatcher managing the midi settings in a bigger patch.

I repeat that this patch works fine in OSX but I was told that on Vista the midiout object does’nt want to take port messages.
In windows XP it is ok.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
#134061
Jun 19, 2008 at 8:00pm

We’re not able to reproduce. It seems to work fine. Do you have any more details for us?

Here’s something to try on a Vista machine

1. Open midi setup and configure port “a” to be Microsoft Synthesizer.
2. Configure port “b” to be Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth
3. make a midiout object
4. connect message box with “port a” -> midiout inlet and another with “port b” to midiout inlet.
5. click on “port a”.
6. double click on midiout object and see that “Microsoft Synthesizer” is checked in menu.
7. click on “port b”.
8. double click on midiout object and see that “Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth” is checked.

-A

#134062
Jun 19, 2008 at 8:16pm

Quote: Andrew Pask wrote on Thu, 19 June 2008 22:00
—————————————————-
>
>
> We’re not able to reproduce. It seems to work fine. Do you have any more details for us?
>
> Here’s something to try on a Vista machine
>
> 1. Open midi setup and configure port “a” to be Microsoft Synthesizer.
> 2. Configure port “b” to be Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth
> 3. make a midiout object
> 4. connect message box with “port a” -> midiout inlet and another with “port b” to midiout inlet.
> 5. click on “port a”.
> 6. double click on midiout object and see that “Microsoft Synthesizer” is checked in menu.
> 7. click on “port b”.
> 8. double click on midiout object and see that “Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth” is checked.
>
>
> -A
—————————————————-

Thanks for quick answer Andrew,

good to know it works for you, so it could be an issue on my friend’s PC only.

yes he did the test you describe and said that it works fine.

I guess the best way to check if midiout responds or not to message port, could be this:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

I will ask him to check this simple patch on his system and report the Vista version he’s using.

will keep you posted

#134063

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.