Forums > MaxMSP

bug (or current limitation?) with feedback loops via poly~s

April 3, 2009 | 7:26 am

feedback loops in msp always give me a hard time, especially when they the timing is crucial. I understand that you can have a feedback loop using tapin~ and tapout~ object which also have at least a signal vector delay.

However, this does not seem to work with poly~s

In the following patch you can see that the max detects feedback that is not allowed when I use a poly. I kind of understand since you can load anything you want into a poly without having to rebuild the dsp-chain, but then I would like to see an option that disables this dynamic loading and permits feedback loops.

How can I use feedback chains with poly~ objects?
(I need a scalable system thus I prefer poly~s)

—————————————————–

- save this as test.maxpat (this will be loaded in the poly~)

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

- this is the main patch:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

April 8, 2009 | 10:56 am
Timo Rozendal wrote on Fri, 03 April 2009 09:26
How can I use feedback chains with poly~ objects?
(I need a scalable system thus I prefer poly~s)

If you would place the tapin~ outside the poly~ it works. The new version of my main instrument uses this technique succesfully. The main problem for Max in your example is, it doesn’t know anything about what’s inside the poly~, as poly~ has its own signal chain. You would need the signal vector delay outside of poly~.

But anyway in your example you would create as many copies of the delay buffer as you have voices. If you place the tapin~ outside the poly~, you use the same delay buffer for all voices…
You can even create the tap connection with send/receive…

Stefan

April 8, 2009 | 12:30 pm

thanks for your reply and the solution.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)