Forums > Max For Live

[bug] pfft~ breaks spectroscope~ until quit, relaunch

November 20, 2009 | 8:38 am

spectroscope~ works fine, but once you properly instantiate a pfft~, no new instances of spectroscope~ work properly.

at the bottom of this post are instructions for recreating this bug in max for live, but recreating it in max by itself is much easier. see the pasted code (with comments) and i think it will make sense.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

i am using 5.1.0b9 on mac 10.5.8 with both live 8.1b9 and b10.

i am making a MFL device that has both pfft~ and spectroscope~. by chance, the spectroscope~ gets loaded first and will work properly in the first instance, but any subsequent instance will not have a working spectroscope~ (since pfft~ was already loaded).

if this is unclear or i can do anything else to help, please let me know. i very much want this to work. below is a way to reproduce the problem in MFL with the attached file.

–dave linnenbank

i’ve attached a zipped file called spectrodead.amxd. one way to reproduce…

1) install the attached audio effect.
2) insert the effect a couple times on a track that is outputting audio. each spectroscope~ will work fine.
3) edit one of the instances. give the bogus pfft~ object a proper file argument (i prefer "pfft~ button.maxhelp"). save the file.
4) whichever instance of the plugin is re-instantiated first will have a working spectroscope~. the other plugin’s spectroscope~ will be dead as a pfft~ was properly instantiated before.

November 21, 2009 | 4:51 pm

I can confirm this bug is specific to the 5.1 beta (5.1.0b9). It does not appear to happen in 5.0.7 and 5.0.8.

November 24, 2009 | 8:00 pm

It has been fixed in 5.1. So make sure that you download the latest version.

November 24, 2009 | 10:04 pm

yes, it does work. and the message board is back so i can post this.

double yay. many thanks to the elves.

–dave linnenbank

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)