Forums > Jitter

Bug with jit.qt.play using the Window commande with asyncread

January 19, 2011 | 8:46 pm

Dear all

I have a problem which I think is a bug. I try to use asyncread to read movies in jit.qt.movie and it does not read in the window, it reads in the top left part of my main screen!

If you load the patch pasted down, and you resize and reposition the window ‘Optimized’ and you asyncread, you will be surprised!

keep me posted if it is just me!

pa

===

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

January 22, 2011 | 12:15 pm

am I the only one?

any confirmation would be welcome, as I can reproduce this on all the machines I have tested

p

January 22, 2011 | 7:36 pm

It’s not just you.. I’m on a MBP C2D, 10.6.6 and half my screen is eaten up by the image. Had to quit max to get rid of it..

January 22, 2011 | 8:33 pm

the same here. pretty strange.
MacBookPro5,3 – 10.6.6

January 22, 2011 | 10:40 pm

thanks to you both, I am happy to know it is generalised.

I will probably sent a message to support now, but in the meantime I could do with some help trying to go around this.

What I try to do is to play random clips from a large pool (over 40 clips) without any latency while I switch. The clips can be up to 3 minutes so no RAM preload is possible.

the current approach is to have 2 jit.qt.play sent to the same window, one reading whilst the other one preload. I have problems with this. If I use read, I get the read file to ‘publish’ a frame when loaded (despite being stopped). i was hoping that asyncread would not to that but I get this strange bug…

any help/pointer welcome!

pa

January 24, 2011 | 8:04 pm

any idea before I send this to support?

January 24, 2011 | 9:35 pm

Thanks for the report, I can repro some problems with @window and asyncread, we will take a closer look.

-Ben

January 26, 2011 | 9:04 am

Dear Ben

What approach would you take to try to achieve instant random access in the meantime? 2 alternating jit.qt.player with real matrix output to 2 openGL textures preloading? It will definitely be more heavy in term of passing full resolution films to textures than to use the ‘direct_to_window’ trick…

thanks for your help

pa

January 26, 2011 | 5:43 pm

Hi Pierre,

In this case, the @window attribute is causing the problems, so just avoid this. Use a patch cord or a send/receive pair.

You might want to check out Andrew Benson’s excellent VPS tutorial:

http://cycling74.com/2008/12/22/the-video-processing-system-part-1/

It uses poly~ to asyncread/loadram a video bank.

But maybe I’m not understanding your issue now. If so, please feel free to send along a simple example patch.

-Ben

January 26, 2011 | 7:57 pm

Dear ben

I cannot use loadram because the clip pool is too big. I’ll go through a gl.texture.

There was talks of having an attribute to jit.qt.movie to play straight to a texture, is that in the pipeline or has it been put on the wishlist?

thanks

pa

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)