Forums > MaxMSP

Call for Max/MSP/Jitter users


dis
November 19, 2007 | 11:58 pm

If you have ever wanted to work with Carsten Nicolai (raster noton) or William Basinski now is your chance.

I just came across this call for artists: http://www.atlanticcenterforthearts.org/artresprog/resschedule/aug/c_nicolai.html

It appears that Mr. Nicolai is looking for another artist/programmer to help him and Mr. Basinski complete a project. If you have ever seen or heard their work you know this will be an interesting project and great opportunity.

Deadline to apply is March 14, 2008.

Best of luck to you!

I wonder if I can master three programs in 4 months? :)


November 20, 2007 | 12:13 am

You are right, Carsten is great.

However, I find it amusing that if you get accepted to this
residency, there is a $850 fee, plus airfare, plus the $25
application fee (plus you are losing work time by being away).

It seems to me that if there are a couple of artists wanting someone
to write the technology of their piece for them, THEY are the ones
that should be paying. I know we aren’t used to getting any arts
funding in the US, but damn.

b

On Nov 19, 2007, at 3:58 PM, thehouseofdis wrote:

>
> If you have ever wanted to work with Carsten Nicolai (raster noton)
> or William Basinski now is your chance.
>
> I just came across this call for artists: http://
> http://www.atlanticcenterforthearts.org/artresprog/resschedule/aug/
> c_nicolai.html
>
> It appears that Mr. Nicolai is looking for another artist/
> programmer to help him and Mr. Basinski complete a project. If you
> have ever seen or heard their work you know this will be an
> interesting project and great opportunity.
>
> Deadline to apply is March 14, 2008.
>
> Best of luck to you!
>
> I wonder if I can master three programs in 4 months? :)

Barry Threw
Media Art and Technology

San Francisco, CA Work: 857-544-3967
Email: bthrew@gmail.com
IM: captogreadmore (AIM)
http:/www.barrythrew.com


November 20, 2007 | 2:23 am

That does seem a bit skewed! But for your $850 you get 3 washcloths, 3 hand towels, 3 bath towels, 2 sets of sheets, 2, pillows, and 1 blanket and a clock radio!!!


November 20, 2007 | 4:04 am

A blanket clock radio!

Thats the holy grail of gadgets!

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/brookstone_scientists_10_years

b

On Nov 20, 2007, at 2:23 AM, Leafcutter John wrote:

>
> That does seem a bit skewed! But for your $850 you get 3
> washcloths, 3 hand towels, 3 bath towels, 2 sets of sheets, 2,
> pillows, and 1 blanket clock radio!!!
>
>
> –
> http://www.leafcutterjohn.com
>
> "The Forest And The Sea"
> Out on Staubgold Records
> Staubgold 68 CD/LP

Barry Threw
Media Art and Technology

San Francisco, CA Work: 857-544-3967
Email: bthrew@gmail.com
IM: captogreadmore (AIM)
http:/www.barrythrew.com


November 22, 2007 | 12:07 am

and you can be shure your name will not be mentioned. i learned that lesson when i did the visuals for carsten for the insen tour with ryuichi sakamoto.

k


November 22, 2007 | 12:38 am

> and you can be shure your name will not be mentioned. i learned that lesson when i did the visuals for carsten for the insen tour with ryuichi sakamoto.
>

Seriously?! Not cool at all…



dis
November 22, 2007 | 12:53 am

Quote: Karl Kliem wrote on Wed, 21 November 2007 17:07
—————————————————-
> and you can be shure your name will not be mentioned. i learned that lesson when i did the visuals for carsten for the insen tour with ryuichi sakamoto.
>
> k
—————————————————-

I was afraid that might happen. Unfortunately it’s pretty common.

Those were great visuals by the way! I have the dvd and I was just watching it over the weekend. Was it all done in Max/MSP/Jitter? Were there two (or more) projectors used? I’d be interested in finding out how those were done?

-Dustin


November 22, 2007 | 1:52 am

Man, that is so lame.

Anyway, if anyone goes and does this project, just make sure you
protect your IP. Make sure the deal with the Atlantic center doesn’t
take any of your rights. Then, just tell Carsten to pay for it, or
have your name in writing on any release, if they want to keep using
it when you’re done.

It’s not like he’s doing this shit for free.

b

On Nov 21, 2007, at 4:07 PM, Karl Kliem wrote:

>
> and you can be shure your name will not be mentioned. i learned
> that lesson when i did the visuals for carsten for the insen tour
> with ryuichi sakamoto.
>
> k

Barry Threw
Media Art and Technology

San Francisco, CA Work: 857-544-3967
Email: bthrew@gmail.com
IM: captogreadmore (AIM)
http:/www.barrythrew.com


November 22, 2007 | 3:27 am

screw these guys. i’m always saving someone’s ass, but at least they pay for it.


November 22, 2007 | 3:47 am

No shit right?

On Nov 21, 2007, at 10:27 PM, keith o brien wrote:

> i’m always saving someone’s ass


November 22, 2007 | 9:13 am

Hi Karl,
I recently saw those visuals on your blog. Unfortunately without sound:-)
But still very nice ones! I just have to mention that I did a piece of
work for Carsten as well and was paid and mentioned.

sorry, this had to be said.

John

http://www.spots-berlin.de/en/exhibition/artworks.php?col=1&expo=80&artwork=12

Karl Kliem schrieb:
> and you can be shure your name will not be mentioned. i learned that lesson when i did the visuals for carsten for the insen tour with ryuichi sakamoto.
>
> k
>


November 22, 2007 | 12:26 pm

hi john,

you are right. i shouln’t generalize here. this was just my experience which i wanted to share. maybe it was my fault not to take care of this from the project start, but then you just don’t think about credits while you concentrate on your work. i was paid, not as much as i spent time on the project, but it was decent for the honour of working with sakamoto and him. i still appreciate their music. but if you are asked as an artist because of your former work and you design and program everything on your own (with a little help by jhno and sebastian gregor), you wonder how someone can sell this as his own work. it took a lot of effort to finally be mentioned on the project website and in the dvd sleeve, albeit misleading in the describtion of what my role was exactly.

@dis: thanks. it was all done with max msp jitter. live. no backup. it’s still a mystery to me how it didn’t crash at one concert. it was a narrow led screen, an idea of carsten who did the stage design.

unfortunately the recordings on the dvd weren’t the best concerts related to the visuals. opposed to early plans that i’d be part of the tour, a week before the tour started i was told that the budget for me was forgotten and i had to change the controls so that carsten was able to adjust everything himself on stage. and sometimes it seems it was too much that he had to take care of at the same time.

you can read more about the project on my blog: http://www.dienststelle.de

k


November 22, 2007 | 8:20 pm

Yeah, I guess I should say I have had good experiences working with
Carsten too. Not a bad guy.

Only point is, everyone make sure when you are doing work for people
you cover your ass up front. Make sure you know what the deal is
before the project is over.

We should all unionize. How do you do that? Then we could send Vade
to punch people that were out of line.

b

On Nov 22, 2007, at 4:26 AM, Karl Kliem wrote:

>
> hi john,
>
> you are right. i shouln’t generalize here. this was just my
> experience which i wanted to share. maybe it was my fault not to
> take care of this from the project start, but then you just don’t
> think about credits while you concentrate on your work. i was paid,
> not as much as i spent time on the project, but it was decent for
> the honour of working with sakamoto and him. i still appreciate
> their music. but if you are asked as an artist because of your
> former work and you design and program everything on your own (with
> a little help by jhno and sebastian gregor), you wonder how someone
> can sell this as his own work. it took a lot of effort to finally
> be mentioned on the project website and in the dvd sleeve, albeit
> misleading in the describtion of what my role was exactly.
>
> @dis: thanks. it was all done with max msp jitter. live. no backup.
> it’s still a mystery to me how it didn’t crash at one concert. it
> was a narrow led screen, an idea of carsten who did the stage design.
>
> unfortunately the recordings on the dvd weren’t the best concerts
> related to the visuals. opposed to early plans that i’d be part of
> the tour, a week before the tour started i was told that the budget
> for me was forgotten and i had to change the controls so that
> carsten was able to adjust everything himself on stage. and
> sometimes it seems it was too much that he had to take care of at
> the same time.
>
> you can read more about the project on my blog: http://www.dienststelle.de
>
> k

Barry Threw
Media Art and Technology

San Francisco, CA Work: 857-544-3967
Email: bthrew@gmail.com
IM: captogreadmore (AIM)
http:/www.barrythrew.com


November 22, 2007 | 8:55 pm

what, like, the Union of Multimedia Ass-Savers Nat’l 45.729?

On Nov 22, 2007, at 3:20 PM, barry threw wrote:

> Yeah, I guess I should say I have had good experiences working with
> Carsten too. Not a bad guy.
>
> Only point is, everyone make sure when you are doing work for people
> you cover your ass up front. Make sure you know what the deal is
> before the project is over.
>
> We should all unionize. How do you do that? Then we could send
> Vade to punch people that were out of line.
>
> b
>
>
> On Nov 22, 2007, at 4:26 AM, Karl Kliem wrote:
>
>>
>> hi john,
>>
>> you are right. i shouln’t generalize here. this was just my
>> experience which i wanted to share. maybe it was my fault not to
>> take care of this from the project start, but then you just don’t
>> think about credits while you concentrate on your work. i was paid,
>> not as much as i spent time on the project, but it was decent for
>> the honour of working with sakamoto and him. i still appreciate
>> their music. but if you are asked as an artist because of your
>> former work and you design and program everything on your own (with
>> a little help by jhno and sebastian gregor), you wonder how someone
>> can sell this as his own work. it took a lot of effort to finally
>> be mentioned on the project website and in the dvd sleeve, albeit
>> misleading in the describtion of what my role was exactly.
>>
>> @dis: thanks. it was all done with max msp jitter. live. no backup.
>> it’s still a mystery to me how it didn’t crash at one concert. it
>> was a narrow led screen, an idea of carsten who did the stage design.
>>
>> unfortunately the recordings on the dvd weren’t the best concerts
>> related to the visuals. opposed to early plans that i’d be part of
>> the tour, a week before the tour started i was told that the budget
>> for me was forgotten and i had to change the controls so that
>> carsten was able to adjust everything himself on stage. and
>> sometimes it seems it was too much that he had to take care of at
>> the same time.
>>
>> you can read more about the project on my blog: http://www.dienststelle.de
>>
>> k
>
> Barry Threw
> Media Art and Technology
>
>
> San Francisco, CA Work: 857-544-3967
> Email: bthrew@gmail.com
> IM: captogreadmore (AIM)
> http:/www.barrythrew.com
>
>
>


November 27, 2007 | 3:10 pm


November 27, 2007 | 7:12 pm

Funny [OT] anecdote : (sorry mods, I could not resist).

On the way to work today I was walking by Irving place in Manhattan
around 2Pm, a typically calm, nice neighborhood. Ahead of me I noticed
a younger guy crouched behind the stairs of a brownstone, hoody up,
acting suspicious (dont ask, trained NY eye). A group of tourists
walks past him, and he immediately gets up and runs at them from
behind, and nabs a purse. I could not believe the audacity, its the
middle of the day, in front of everyone. He runs past the tourists and
proceeds to run right at me. Hes about half a block away. So, for some
reason I decide to run right at him, my headphones still blearing some
music, thinking I can tackle the guy.

He notices me running at him and gets this very funny look on his
face, seeing I am seriously considering tackling him, and stops and
tries to wave me off. Confused but still running at him, arms out
ready to go, I notice the tourists also staring at me, more confused
than anything. I decide to stop all but 4 feet from the guy, take my
headphones out, and then notice they are shooting a movie.

haha. Oh well. Not to be typecast or anything, but I though you folks
might find that amusing. :)

On Nov 27, 2007, at 10:10 AM, Ean White wrote:

> Ha-ha! I have a short list–if Vade needs the exercise.
>
> .e
>
>


November 27, 2007 | 7:30 pm

Wow! Do they have that on tape? Are we going to see you in the ‘extra’ section of the DVD? If not, could you try to reproduce the situation and send us a .mov?

Quote: vade wrote on Tue, 27 November 2007 20:12
—————————————————-
> Funny [OT] anecdote : (sorry mods, I could not resist).
>
> On the way to work today I was walking by Irving place in Manhattan
> around 2Pm, a typically calm, nice neighborhood. Ahead of me I noticed
> a younger guy crouched behind the stairs of a brownstone, hoody up,
> acting suspicious (dont ask, trained NY eye). A group of tourists
> walks past him, and he immediately gets up and runs at them from
> behind, and nabs a purse. I could not believe the audacity, its the
> middle of the day, in front of everyone. He runs past the tourists and
> proceeds to run right at me. Hes about half a block away. So, for some
> reason I decide to run right at him, my headphones still blearing some
> music, thinking I can tackle the guy.
>
> He notices me running at him and gets this very funny look on his
> face, seeing I am seriously considering tackling him, and stops and
> tries to wave me off. Confused but still running at him, arms out
> ready to go, I notice the tourists also staring at me, more confused
> than anything. I decide to stop all but 4 feet from the guy, take my
> headphones out, and then notice they are shooting a movie.
>
> haha. Oh well. Not to be typecast or anything, but I though you folks
> might find that amusing. :)
>
>
>
> On Nov 27, 2007, at 10:10 AM, Ean White wrote:
>
> > Ha-ha! I have a short list–if Vade needs the exercise.
> >
> > .e
> >
> >
>
—————————————————-


November 27, 2007 | 7:58 pm

the funny thing about this story that all of you should know is that
vade is five foot one inch and ninety pounds.

On Nov 27, 2007, at 2:12 PM, vade wrote:

> Funny [OT] anecdote : (sorry mods, I could not resist).
>
> On the way to work today I was walking by Irving place in Manhattan
> around 2Pm, a typically calm, nice neighborhood. Ahead of me I
> noticed a younger guy crouched behind the stairs of a brownstone,
> hoody up, acting suspicious (dont ask, trained NY eye). A group of
> tourists walks past him, and he immediately gets up and runs at them
> from behind, and nabs a purse. I could not believe the audacity, its
> the middle of the day, in front of everyone. He runs past the
> tourists and proceeds to run right at me. Hes about half a block
> away. So, for some reason I decide to run right at him, my
> headphones still blearing some music, thinking I can tackle the guy.
>
> He notices me running at him and gets this very funny look on his
> face, seeing I am seriously considering tackling him, and stops and
> tries to wave me off. Confused but still running at him, arms out
> ready to go, I notice the tourists also staring at me, more confused
> than anything. I decide to stop all but 4 feet from the guy, take my
> headphones out, and then notice they are shooting a movie.
>
> haha. Oh well. Not to be typecast or anything, but I though you
> folks might find that amusing. :)
>
>
>
> On Nov 27, 2007, at 10:10 AM, Ean White wrote:
>
>> Ha-ha! I have a short list–if Vade needs the exercise.
>>
>> .e
>>
>>
>


November 27, 2007 | 8:03 pm

No, no and no !

:P

On Nov 27, 2007, at 2:30 PM, Mattijs Kneppers wrote:

>
> Wow! Do they have that on tape? Are we going to see you in the
> ‘extra’ section of the DVD? If not, could you try to reproduce the
> situation and send us a .mov?


November 27, 2007 | 8:26 pm

All the better, he wouldn’t be suspected.

Artists of the world take note: Multimedia Asssavers Int’l 21.5 will
come after you. Even if you are just making a movie. Especially if
you are just making a movie. Where’s your interactivity, son?

I wonder if we could get a bitchin’ healthcare deal as a union?

b

On Nov 27, 2007, at 11:58 AM, joshua goldberg wrote:

> the funny thing about this story that all of you should know is
> that vade is five foot one inch and ninety pounds.
>
> On Nov 27, 2007, at 2:12 PM, vade wrote:
>
>> Funny [OT] anecdote : (sorry mods, I could not resist).
>>
>> On the way to work today I was walking by Irving place in
>> Manhattan around 2Pm, a typically calm, nice neighborhood. Ahead
>> of me I noticed a younger guy crouched behind the stairs of a
>> brownstone, hoody up, acting suspicious (dont ask, trained NY
>> eye). A group of tourists walks past him, and he immediately gets
>> up and runs at them from behind, and nabs a purse. I could not
>> believe the audacity, its the middle of the day, in front of
>> everyone. He runs past the tourists and proceeds to run right at
>> me. Hes about half a block away. So, for some reason I decide to
>> run right at him, my headphones still blearing some music,
>> thinking I can tackle the guy.
>>
>> He notices me running at him and gets this very funny look on his
>> face, seeing I am seriously considering tackling him, and stops
>> and tries to wave me off. Confused but still running at him, arms
>> out ready to go, I notice the tourists also staring at me, more
>> confused than anything. I decide to stop all but 4 feet from the
>> guy, take my headphones out, and then notice they are shooting a
>> movie.
>>
>> haha. Oh well. Not to be typecast or anything, but I though you
>> folks might find that amusing. :)
>>
>>
>>
>> On Nov 27, 2007, at 10:10 AM, Ean White wrote:
>>
>>> Ha-ha! I have a short list–if Vade needs the exercise.
>>>
>>> .e
>>>
>>>
>>
>

Barry Threw
Media Art and Technology

San Francisco, CA Work: 857-544-3967
Email: bthrew@gmail.com
IM: captogreadmore (AIM)
http:/www.barrythrew.com


Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)