camera advice for dance project

Sep 28, 2006 at 5:32pm

camera advice for dance project

I’m collaborating on a project (interactive music, dance, multimedia kind of thing) where I want to do camera detection of dancers on the stage. I might be using two or three cameras in different positions for this.

As it happens, I am shopping for a couple of camera for video recording recitals in the recital hall at my university. A B&H salesman suggested the Sony EVI-D100 with remote pan/tilt/focus. It has a single 1/4″ CCD and they sell it for US$930. It outputs to S-Video or composite.

My question is whether this type of camera is a practical choice for the project application I describe, and whether anyone has any experience with this, or think something in the price range is better for both applications. In other words, I could use the same cameras for both applications.

Thanks for any advice–I’m a video novice!

Tim

Sep 28, 2006 at 5:53pm

—————————————————-
> I’m collaborating on a project (interactive music, dance, multimedia kind of thing) where I want to do camera detection of dancers on the stage. I might be using two or three cameras in different positions for this.

On quick thought is that having the camera move makes motion detection much harder. So, remote pan/tilt isn’t so good for that particular application.

In general, I’ve been happier tracking dancers in infrared, or near-IR. Visible light is tricky; when stage lighting or costumes change, the whole scene is different. I’d look for a camera that could do that. (Lots of resources on this forum online about this.)

cheers,

mzed

Sep 28, 2006 at 6:04pm

Infrared sounds like good advice. Thanks!
Tim

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.