Can Max communicate to liveAPI without M4L?

Sep 23, 2012 at 1:06pm

Can Max communicate to liveAPI without M4L?

Hi folks,

just got Max 6 a few days back. I am amazed at what one can do with Max and overwhelmed by the amount of learning that has to take place, but I am up for it. have been on it 3 weeks in demo mode, during which I started doing my homework.

glad to be here.

must I have M4L to access the liveAPI or can I access it through to/from Max 1 midi ports? I know Python and have written a few remote scripts before but can do it only in Max?

Thanks
Emerah

Sep 23, 2012 at 1:57pm

It is possible to use remote (Python) scripts – appearing as Control surfaces in Live preferences – to access the Live API. This is how, for example, Kapture Pad (not Kapture) enables remote control of Live via iOS (via a Max based connector app) . A basic overview/intro of scripting in Live here: http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/03/hacking-ableton-live-unofficial-osc-scripting-for-more-control/

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:06pm

If you want to keep it simpler – of corse depending what you need – you can send MIDI messages from Max to Live as you suggested through the Max MIDI ports. Also take a look at [rewire~].

Cheers Jan

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.