Can you guys tell me what you think of my project so far?

Apr 12, 2011 at 2:33pm

Can you guys tell me what you think of my project so far?

Hey everyone,
After months of going through the max tutorials and learning Cipriani and Giri’s book, I have finally got a stable project on the go. Still have a lot to do and probably it probably looks very basic to you advanced programmers out there but just would like you all to have a look and tell me what you think so far.
It is a very basic subtractive synthesiser with various control parameters. It only has one main oscillator but I am going to introduce an other later, also need to make it polyphonic because at the moment its only monophonic.
Cheers and appreciate everyone’s feedback on it. (Ps sorry about the messy patch chords I need to encapsulate some off the objects.)

Dave Thomas

Attachments:
  1. synthengine.maxpat
Apr 13, 2011 at 10:18am

Also would like if anyone could state the flaws of my design and further improvements. Just really want any feedback possible to help me improve on its design as its part of a project for university, and want to try and improve on the current patch and see what needs altering/improvement. Thank you once again. And would appreciate any feedback at all (even if it is very negative).

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:30pm

Audio isn’t really my thing, seems to work fine, I don’t have anything critical to add, but congrats on your progress. Only thing I should mention, when you are bundling patchers like this, it would be helpful to compress the three files into a folder (and perhaps clearly label which is the master patch) to make it easier for interested parties to download and open.

Cheers.

Apr 18, 2011 at 10:26pm

thank you very much for the feedback still got lots to do on it before may if anybody else drops by to have a look would really appreciate as much feedback as possible and for any further improvements thanks everyone

ps I have attached an easier copy to download

Attachments:
  1. Synthpatch.zip
Apr 19, 2011 at 1:36am

Definitely look in to using presentation mode to display your patcher to the end user while using patching mode to keep everything ordered functionally. This will make it easier for you to fix or change anything if needed at a later date and you can always edit the final patch appearance without having to worry about making the code completely unreadable. Your patch also throws a lot of “begin~ already tied to a selector~, ignoring others” error messages which might be worth a look. Apart from that I think [poly~] would be the next thing to explore for you.

Apr 21, 2011 at 9:30pm

hey luke thanks for your feedback, will definitely look into the poly~ object for polyphonic voices. Yeah should really open it in presentation mode and also use bpatchers cause I am thinking of creating a simple arpeggiator, and would be nice to open it up in other window using presentation mode.
Thanks for the feedbacks how is it for the fm and am synthesis is this how it works?
Would be a nice too to have a wavetable that the user can draw in his/her’s own waveshapes.

Cheers both once again

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.