Forums > MaxMSP

cannot write to pattrstorage files in a Windows standalone — permissions?

July 8, 2010 | 6:28 pm

List!

I’m working on a cross-platform standalone, and having problems getting my pattrstorage preference files to save under Windows. the .json files are inside the application itself, in the support folder — as I’m loading them manually, I know that the path to the folder I’m using(app_foldersupportdata) is being read by the patch, but I get a -1 error when a writeagain message is sent. Checking the properties of that folder, I noticed that it is marked read-only. After nosing around the internets for Windows, I changed variousl settings, only to find that once I closed the folder and reopened it, the read-only flag turned itself on again. Is there a workaround for this, or do I have to stick my settings files somewhere else?

I note that Windows has the "documents and Settings" folder — is that the place I have to write the .json files to? Or is there some trick to get my permissions change to stick?

Thanks,

M

July 9, 2010 | 10:03 am

Hello,

Have a look at that thread :

http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=25895

léo

July 9, 2010 | 4:59 pm

Thanks for the pointer, but I’m aware of all of those issues and I’m loading my .jsons manually and so forth. The Mac build has no problem storing settings changes — it is only the Windows build, which makes me think it may be an OS issue rather than a Max issue….

M

July 12, 2010 | 6:09 pm

never mind — sorted it out…

m

July 22, 2010 | 5:06 pm

I also had a similar problem. I tried everything to save my json files in Windows with no luck. Everytime I re-opened the program and sent the read command to pattrstorage with the correct filepath I could never read the file contents. I tried every syntax for the filepath with no luck (max version 5.0.7, WinXP-32bit). I sorted it out by changing the json files to xml. I had the exactly same problem on my MacPro, only that time I couldn’t save anything using xml, but instead I used json and everything worked.

So I guess if anyone has similar problems try changing json and xml files to see what works best for you.

Cheers!

July 22, 2010 | 7:12 pm

Stav,

Again, please update to the latest version, 5.1.4. Send an email to support if you find that json file read/write does not work as expected.

-Ben

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)