Forums > MaxMSP

cant build standalone – app crashes on launch

June 13, 2012 | 1:08 pm

Hello

I cant seem to build a standalone patch from this basic test patch. Having looked through the reference files and documentation on building standalones, I’ve tried a back to basics approach – and am trying to build up from the simplest elements. I am working on a MacBookPro on Lion, with Max 6.0.4.

Every time I go to launch the app that I have built, it crashes and I get this report:

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000412f736e

VM Regions Near 0x412f736e:
MALLOC_LARGE 000000000c300000-000000000c341000 [ 260K] rw-/rwx SM=PRV
–>
__TEXT 000000008fec7000-000000008fefa000 [ 204K] r-x/rwx SM=COW /usr/lib/dylOk

Here is the patch that I am attempting to build into a standalone – to test what’s going wrong:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

And here is the the build script that I am using:

open thispatcher
open "Macintosh HD:/Users/georgepoonkhinkhut/Desktop/basic.maxpat"

I have included a standalone object in the patch, and checked its properties in Inspector, pretty ordinary.

If anyone at C74 could test this for me – perhaps I have an issue with my computer?

I HAVE built standalones before – but its always been touch and go – now I am trying to understand what makes them work or not.

Attached is the crash report in text form.
Thanks

June 13, 2012 | 4:45 pm

Works fine here: Max 6.0.4 and OSX 10.6.8.

My only command was "open thispatcher".

June 16, 2012 | 5:06 am

Thanks for testing SeeJay

Tom Hall emailed me with the suggestion to completely remove my existing install and reinstall Max.
I removed Max, then booted into the Lion Recovery HD – did a Repair Permissions, Repair Drive (just in case – as I’ve had a lot of issues with permissions lately), then reinstalled Max6,
Then I tried building the standalone of my very complex patch – and it worked straight off! Brilliant!

Here’s Tom’s instructions for de-installing Max, so you can do a clean install:

To clean out Max 6 entirely, remove these items:

1. ~/Library/Application Support/Cycling ’74
2. /Applications/Max6

In Mac OS 10.7, the Application Support/Cycling ’74 folder is hidden. You can find it using the ‘Go’ Menu in the Finder. From there, choose ‘Go To Folder…’ and enter:

~/Library/Application Support

then navigate to the Cycling ’74 folder and delete it.

All the best

George

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)