Forums > Java

can't find .class but in same folder

September 22, 2006 | 7:14 am

hi everybody,
in max 4.5 i could build mxj-externals and just put them in the same folder as the patch that is using them and they would load fine (even if the folder is not within the search-path).

i just built a mxj-external for 4.6.1 and wanted to load it, but it (the .class) has to be in the java/classes otherwise i always get the "can’t find class xyz" error.

strangely enough my "old" externals will still load fine if within the same folder. very odd.

this is maybe not a max/msp problem but maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can enlighten me.

- mac os x 10.4.7
- java 1.5.0_06
- max/msp/jitter 4.6.1

- all mxj were built with a simple text-editor(TextWrangler) and javac in terminal

thanks!

September 27, 2006 | 5:34 pm

Hi Stephen,

I can’t reproduce your behaviour. Could you please assemble and
archive an example for me with the proper directory structure, patches
and classes?

Ben

On 9/22/06, Stephen Lumenta wrote:
>
> hi everybody,
> in max 4.5 i could build mxj-externals and just put them in the same folder as the patch that is using them and they would load fine (even if the folder is not within the search-path).
>
> i just built a mxj-external for 4.6.1 and wanted to load it, but it (the .class) has to be in the java/classes otherwise i always get the "can’t find class xyz" error.
>
> strangely enough my "old" externals will still load fine if within the same folder. very odd.
>
> this is maybe not a max/msp problem but maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can enlighten me.
>
> – mac os x 10.4.7
> – java 1.5.0_06
> – max/msp/jitter 4.6.1
>
> – all mxj were built with a simple text-editor(TextWrangler) and javac in terminal
>
> thanks!
>

September 27, 2006 | 8:22 pm

hi ben,
thanks for your reply.
i attached a .zip including a .pat and a .class .
i just tried unzipping it to my desktop but still i get the odd couldn’t find class error.
maybe you can make some sense out of it.
stephen

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)