Forums > Max For Live

capture note OFF in a midi-bound object

May 21, 2010 | 12:30 am

I’d like to make a simple device that lets the user MIDI bind a note to an object, then select from a drop-down list of parameters to map to with the result being that the MIDI note would momentarily control the mapped parameter, instead of the default Live behavior which is to toggle the parameter.

However, in order to do that, I would need a Live M4L object that captures the "Note Off" event of the MIDI note. Is there anything that does this? The Live.button only fires when the state changes from 0 to 1 and all the Max objects that would do this are not MIDI mappable.

May 21, 2010 | 11:48 am

I don’t have a general solution, but found a little trick to make a "momentary" live.button when mapped to a key (or note).

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

May 22, 2010 | 3:45 pm

that’s a cool idea broc. it certainly works when you use the mouse. however it doesn’t work when MIDI mapping notes because the button doesn’t recognize the "note off" event like it does "mouse up" so if I want to hold down the button for 2 seconds then let go, it recognizes pressing down, but not up. I wired the patch up here. I think this may just not be possible :(

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

May 22, 2010 | 8:27 pm

Why don’t you send the MIDI into the device via the track?

-A

May 23, 2010 | 3:27 pm

Hey Andrew. That definitely works and I actually created a device here that takes care of that:

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=300

However it’s slightly less flexible. I feel like letting anyone drop this utility device into any track and not having to worry about monitoring/setting the track midi is a lot more intuitive and a less complicated workflow.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)