Capturing Video From a USB camera – Please Help

Mar 4, 2007 at 9:34am

Capturing Video From a USB camera – Please Help

I am a postgraduate student using max msp for my studies. I’m quite new to max msp and jitter.

I am running max msp on a macbook pro and am trying to capture video from an exernal, usb camera instead of the built in iSight camera. The first problem I encountered was getting a windows based USB camera to work on my mac.

For this I found macam at http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/ – I downloaded the driver and installed it as instructed. Opening the macam application switches on the USB camera and it functions fine.

When I try to capture the camera in a jitter window however, it does not. Instead ‘Internal Error’ comes up in the window. I am using ‘getvdevlist’ and the name of the webcam comes up in the drop down box.

Can anyone help? The web cam i am using is a Logitech Quickcam STX.

#30619
Mar 12, 2007 at 9:23pm

Hi Jonathan,

Unfortunately, I can’t help you cause I have exactly the same problem. Although the (cheap&crap) webcamera works ok with macmac and imovie, it doesn’t with Jitter. To make it even worse, when i press ‘menu’ in ‘hi’ object, the web cam doesn’t appear in the usb list.. Any help around?

thanks,
Mike

#98132
Mar 12, 2007 at 9:34pm

? Why would the USB Camera appear as a HID device?

did you try getdevlist and getinput list in jit.qt.grab?

On Mar 12, 2007, at 5:23 PM, Michael Gounelas wrote:

>
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Unfortunately, I can’t help you cause I have exactly the same
> problem. Although the (cheap&crap) webcamera works ok with macmac
> and imovie, it doesn’t with Jitter. To make it even worse, when i
> press ‘menu’ in ‘hi’ object, the web cam doesn’t appear in the usb
> list.. Any help around?
>
> thanks,
> Mike

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info

#98133
Mar 12, 2007 at 9:55pm

> ? Why would the USB Camera appear as a HID device?
>
> did you try getdevlist and getinput list in jit.qt.grab?

Hi,
yes i did.
With ‘getdevlist’ I get 6 devices. The last one is “Mustek WCam300A (C)”. every time i load this device a get a warning (well, 4 basically) in Max window saying ” An audio device has been added or removed to the system…” which probably means that it is trying to recognise the webcam.

With “get input” i get only “Mustek WCam300A (C)” which probably means that’s the correct device..

thanks for your interest,
M

#98134
Nov 17, 2007 at 8:29pm

similar problem here.. using mac cam, macbookpro, 10.4.1… using jit.qt.grab I an unable to locate USB camera. does anyone have any solutions besides purchasing an expensive firewire web cam? (i need 3)

thank you,

k

#98135
Dec 8, 2007 at 12:00am

macally icecam works fine on macbook pro, osx. video quality isn’t the best.

#98136
Dec 8, 2007 at 4:19pm

Encore Electronics USB Express Webcam works fine with jitter and macbook pro. It’s cheap.

#98137
Jan 7, 2008 at 9:04am

I HOPE YOU SOLVED YOUR PROBLEM. I HAVE JUST BOUGHT A LOGITECH USB WEBCAM QUICKCAM VERS 10.1. i HAVE INSTALLED THE DRIVERS HOWEVER WHEN i TRY TO OPEN IT IN JITTER IT IS GIVING ME AN ERROR SAYING THAT THERE IS AN ERROR OPENING COMPONENT DEVICE. THE PATCH IS A NORMAL JIT.QT.GRAB. CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH THIS. OH AND BY THE WAY THE OPERATING SYSTEM IS WINDOWS XP.

THANX

#98138
Jan 7, 2008 at 9:10am

Try jit.dx.grab, and please turn off your caps lock.

jb

Am 07.01.2008 um 10:05 schrieb prempeh:

>
> I HOPE YOU SOLVED YOUR PROBLEM. I HAVE JUST BOUGHT A LOGITECH USB
> WEBCAM QUICKCAM VERS 10.1. i HAVE INSTALLED THE DRIVERS HOWEVER WHEN
> i TRY TO OPEN IT IN JITTER IT IS GIVING ME AN ERROR SAYING THAT
> THERE IS AN ERROR OPENING COMPONENT DEVICE. THE PATCH IS A NORMAL
> JIT.QT.GRAB. CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH THIS. OH AND BY THE WAY THE
> OPERATING SYSTEM IS WINDOWS XP.
>
> THANX

#98139
Jan 8, 2008 at 8:43am

Hi,

I had the same problem trying to use a crappy usb-cam with Max/jitter. After long hours with sincere effort – i gave up and bought Unibrain iFireWire cam’s. Works perfectly. as close to ‘plug-and-play’ as you’ll ever get.

c/

#98140
May 12, 2008 at 11:45am

after “installing” the macam componoents, i can recognize my mother’s usb webcam, which is a logitech quickcam express. works fine here.

#98141

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.