Car amps for sound installation?

Dec 27, 2007 at 6:30pm

Car amps for sound installation?

Hi All

I’m constructing with Max/MSP, 4 channel sound installation for an art gallery, and for aesthetic reasons decided to go with non-powered speakers, thus requiring amplifiers. Computer output is from an older Emagic USB audio interface. Browsing around DIY kits, and ebay I came across 4 channel audio amps (for example: Boss CH600 = $102 USD) and wondered if anyone had opinions or experiences with this kind of amp. Seems like they should work…

Thanks!

John

Dec 27, 2007 at 7:55pm

the main thing in matching speakers to amps is to make sure that the wattage rating is from amp to speakers is proper, here meaning that the wattage being supplied by the amp is greater than what the speakers call for. if you check your passive speakers and amp you can probably figure out if the amps rating is enough to power all 4 speakers. you can definitely find something in the diy world that will keep you under the $100 mark.

where’s the installation?

benjamin

Dec 27, 2007 at 8:03pm

Quote: John Phillips wrote on Thu, 27 December 2007 10:30
—————————————————-
> Hi All
>
> I’m constructing with Max/MSP, 4 channel sound installation for an art gallery, and for aesthetic reasons decided to go with non-powered speakers, thus requiring amplifiers. Computer output is from an older Emagic USB audio interface. Browsing around DIY kits, and ebay I came across 4 channel audio amps (for example: Boss CH600 = $102 USD) and wondered if anyone had opinions or experiences with this kind of amp. Seems like they should work…
>
> Thanks!
>
> John
—————————————————-

It should work. These amps run on 12 volt DC, though, so you can’t plug them into the wall. There are plenty of transformers that will convert from your local wall power (120 volts AC in the US) to 12 volts — the plugs will look like a cigarette lighter probably. That might eat into your budget, though. (I assume you’re looking at this amp because it’s cheap).

Another thing to double check is impedance. Some car amps are expecting 4 ohm speakers, and home speakers are usually 8 ohms.

I have used Sonic Impact’s T-Amp, which has been discontinued, I think. Those were about $30 for stereo. Stewart Audio makes a small, 4-channel amp (the DA70-4?) that is nice, but expensive.

good luck,

mz

Dec 29, 2007 at 3:13pm

Thanks to you both – 12VDC and other issues have led me to Craig’s list and a used AV receiver with 6 ins and outs…

HNY!

John

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.