Cell Phone drop out effect

Apr 11, 2009 at 8:29pm

Cell Phone drop out effect

i am looking to recreate dropouts in audio much like crappy cell phones, any pointers? Ideally i would love to isolate how much drop out there is or isn’t. No patch to supply, since i can only see it in my head right now but not through my max side of my brain yet. Thanks in advance!
-chuck

Apr 13, 2009 at 2:20am
Mr. Banshee wrote on Sat, 11 April 2009 15:29
i am looking to recreate dropouts in audio much like crappy cell phones, any pointers? Ideally i would love to isolate how much drop out there is or isn’t. No patch to supply, since i can only see it in my head right now but not through my max side of my brain yet. Thanks in advance!
-chuck

Could just send your signal through a gate~ 2, with one going to *~ 0. and the other unmodified. Send to the *~ 0. for random lengths of time for your dropouts, record the output into another buffer~, then analyze that one for zero points (maybe read it out using peek~ and go through a == 0., and if yes, advance counter). You’d get the other zero crossings too, but there would be a lot less of these compared to the drop-out sections.

Apr 13, 2009 at 6:14pm
seejayjames wrote on Mon, 13 April 2009 04:20
Could just send your signal through a gate~ 2, with one going to *~ 0. and the other unmodified.

The basic idea is OK, but even cheap cell phones may have some circuitry that will smooth out the transients when the signal cuts out. In fact, the cheaper the phone, the less likely it is that the audio dropouts will be a sharp as what gate~ will give you.

The interesting thing would be to know what sort of stochastic model cell dropouts follow. I would love to name a Litter Power object that implements that model (and there probably is one ready to use, possibly even in the free Litter Starter Pack). I just don’t know what the model is that we need to imitate. Does Wikipedia have any good suggestions?

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:32am

Peter,Seejay,
Here is my fail attempt to create a patch, with your suggestions and the help of some other patch fragments found on the forum:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

If someone actually creates something off this idea, do me a favor, hook me up somehow! (too bad there is already a programming language called chuck, ha ha ha)
-chuck

Apr 14, 2009 at 3:10pm

let me give you a typical gearslutz perspective on this.

get two cell phones, play what ever the source material is into one,
buy a safe,
shove a mic and another cell phone into a safe

Fin.

I know this is stupid
one of my pet peeves is when you see fake youtube footage on television and the editor just couldn’t bring himself to leave avid so he just runs some sort of blurry mosiac over the clip.

how hard is it to encode an flv file and record it?

Apr 15, 2009 at 4:19am

Matthew,
What does your response have to do with max/msp? Personally i use max/msp to control strange noises at my will, not interested into any passive sounds, but sounds like you have a project on your hands. Maybe make a youtube video of that to show us.
-chuck

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:48am

Does this come close?

save this as phonex.maxpat:

_
johan

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:56am

Have a look at this too, for some inspiration:
Speakerphone

_
johan

Apr 28, 2009 at 5:41am

Johan,
Sorry for the delay got back from tour…apparently i don’t have xgain~ or abs~ to test out your patch. Can anyone hook me up?
-chuck

Apr 28, 2009 at 6:07am

Forgot to take the xgain~ out; just replace it with a standard gain~. The abs~ object is part of the standard distribution. If it doesn’t load properly, there might be an old third party somewhere in the search path.

_
johan

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.