Forums > MaxMSP

Change loop end point using index~ and poke~

April 10, 2011 | 11:28 am

I’m looking into poke~ and index~ to do some overdubbing and record/play looper, but i don’t get how tochoose a start and end loop as i can with groove~.
i can’t find any info regarding index~ for that.
Anyone has a simple exemple for that? i saw this patch that is using it but with all the send/recieve part i’m a bit lost…

http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=22754

April 10, 2011 | 12:05 pm

Hi,

This will let you select start/end-points for both poke~ and index~. You can only rewrite certain parts of the buffer though, overdubbing is different ballgame. I think (havent tried or anything) [mxj buff.op] will do this but i can’t tell for sure.

HTH,
FRid

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

April 10, 2011 | 2:50 pm

Thanks, actually all i’m trying to do this:

looper with 4 sync loops
rec or overdub and play
loop 1 rec set the loop length for all loops using starting loop and ending loop point

so i was trying to give the index~ its last value with a timer between bangs at rec and play. but something goes wrong and it doesn’t work.

April 11, 2011 | 5:17 pm

Here’s a patch I recently passed out to some students. To change the position of the loop in the buffer, you can just add an offset value (in samples) to the output of count~

April 11, 2011 | 8:00 pm

index~ sux for audio; it has no interpolation; you should definitely use s’thing else like play~, groove~, or wave~. i like wave~.

i struggle for long time with clicks and pops making stuff like this, but now i use tap.buffer.snap~ object which makes sure that my loops are all locked to zero crossings and its sooo much better.

waveform~ does zero crossing thing too but ist not updated at audio rate so you still get crakels.

April 12, 2011 | 2:11 pm

Hi Amil,

after a quick search on the Internet, it seems the original website hosting tap.buffer.snap~ is down. is there any way i can grab that thing ?

my bad – i’m going to search better
ok – it was obvious, but tap tools are commercial externals. didn’t know.

tap
April 12, 2011 | 2:16 pm

Hi,

Tap.Tools went through a bit of a transition in the last year — you can now download it @ http://download.74objects.com/taptools/index.html

@Amil, glad to hear that you are getting some good mileage from these objects!

best wishes,
Tim

April 16, 2011 | 8:48 am

Thank you Andrew that really helped me out! i didn’t think off "adding", i was always trying to force a max value with a delay in front, it would always end up in changing the rate. best K

April 22, 2011 | 3:08 pm

[quote=Andrew Benson] Here’s a patch I recently passed out to some students. To change the position of the loop in the buffer, you can just add an offset value (in samples) to the output of count~

[/quote]

i used your exemple to work on my looper, but there is something i don’t understand. i included yout patch with the logic i was working on in my multiloop one (hold and release set loops length).
I’m trying to resize my loop with timer (like a real life looping device) but when i upsize a loop it keeps looping on the previously recorded loop length. i’m not sure if this is clear, maybe it is better to try out your modified example

Attachments:
  1. essai.maxpat

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)