change~ object crash report – in a single object patch

Nov 22, 2006 at 8:11pm

change~ object crash report – in a single object patch

Pismo with a clean install of 10.4.8, running Max 4.6.2.

Restart machine. Open MaxMSP, make new patch. Try to put in one change~ object. Gets pinwheel of death for a couple seconds, then crash. Crash report attached.

Thanks,
Leigh

PS: Can the search function for the forums be changed so that it parses the ~ (tilde), and also numbers (like 10.4, 4.6, etc…)??

Nov 22, 2006 at 8:33pm

In further investigation, a strange observation:

This change~ crash isn’t happening on my 10.3.9 system, also running Max 4.6.2, so I decided to pull up the info windows on both crash~ objects, to see if the sizes were different (as a crude indicator that the crashing object had been corrupted).

My findings were stranger than that. (Now, remember, in Max 4.6.2, the externals live in:
/Applications/MaxMSP 4.6/Cycling ’74/externals/ )

On the 10.4 machine, the change~.mxo Info window says “Kind: Max external object (Universal)”. But on the 10.3 machine, the change~.mxo Info window says “Kind: Max external object (PowerPC)”! So the Max 4.6.2 install put different objects in, depending on which system it was running on! (Both machines have PPC processors.)

Could someone from Cycling please explain if this install difference is intentional?

This (presumably) explains the build issue I was having here:

http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=23042

And, for you troubleshooters, it means that the change~ crash I reported is happening with the Universal version of change~.mxo, but not the PowerPC version.

Thanks,
Leigh

Nov 25, 2006 at 7:07pm

Can anyone else recreate this?

If you have Max 4.6 loaded on a Mac with OS 10.4, does the change~ object cause Max to crash? (Just open Max, make a new patch, and put one change~ object in it. The crash would be more or less immediate.)

Thanks!
Leigh

Nov 25, 2006 at 9:16pm

Nov 26, 2006 at 4:14am

Nov 26, 2006 at 4:37am

Nov 26, 2006 at 9:00pm

Thank you again for following up on this.

I also had two versions installed, in the same places you describe, but the Pluggin support folder isn’t in Max’s search path. Still, to be sure, I ran the C74 Plug-In Cleaner (part of the Pluggo install package), and verified that the other version of change~.mxo had been trashed.

Trying the change~ object again crashed Max…

???

Leigh

Nov 26, 2006 at 9:27pm

Nov 26, 2006 at 9:47pm

Just reinstalled Max 4.6.2, and tried again – same crash.

So then I brought the PowerPC version of change~.mxo over from my 10.3.9 system, and tried that on my 10.4.8 system. Same crash! (See crash report attached.) So, at least it seems it’s not a UB vs PPC format issue, it’s something more “inherent” to the change~ object.

One thought – I’m running this on a Pismo, which has a G3 processor. Does change~ use Altivec optimizations which are perhaps not being bypassed correctly when run on a non-Altivec machine? Only Cycling knows for sure….

Leigh

Nov 26, 2006 at 10:14pm

Leigh, I’m not quite sure what this will fix, but have you tried
trashing your Max-related prefs? You said you did a clean OS
install, but that doesn’t necessarily overwrite what’s in your
user-specific folder, just the System folder…

Just grasping at straws…

Dan

At 2:00 PM -0700 11/26/06, Leigh Marble wrote:
>Thank you again for following up on this.
>
>I also had two versions installed, in the same places you describe,
>but the Pluggin support folder isn’t in Max’s search path. Still, to
>be sure, I ran the C74 Plug-In Cleaner (part of the Pluggo install
>package), and verified that the other version of change~.mxo had
>been trashed.
>
>Trying the change~ object again crashed Max…
>
>???
>
>Leigh
>

Dan Nigrin
Defective Records
202 Hack / PC-1600 User / VSTi Host / OMS Convert / Jack OS X
http://www.defectiverecords.com

http://www.jackosx.com

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.